PDA

View Full Version : Selection Show a joke

IWB
03-13-2016, 06:48 PM
So this year instead of just releasing brackets the selection show opted to fill out brackets in between? For the second straight year I was listening on the radio/in car. For the second straight year, I heard all brackets, all matchups, long before the "selection show" was done.

They are beyond poor. Hold it all close to the vest, release it on the show quickly and let others follow. Instead they are the last to release full bracket - again.

unclejohn
03-13-2016, 06:53 PM
So this year instead of just releasing brackets the selection show opted to fill out brackets in between? For the second straight year I was listening on the radio/in car. For the second straight year, I heard all brackets, all matchups, long before the "selection show" was done.

They are beyond poor. Hold it all close to the vest, release it on the show quickly and let others follow. Instead they are the last to release full bracket - again.

Agreed. I did not mind the analysis. Actually, I thought it was pretty good. But dragging the whole thing out for two hours was stupid. I suppose they could not get people to stay tuned that long without holding the brackets, but it has to suck for the bubble teams wondering if they are going to get in. BTW, did I mention that the bubble teams that got in all suck? Well, maybe not Wichita State.

MUBasketball
03-13-2016, 06:56 PM
Agreed. I did not mind the analysis. Actually, I thought it was pretty good.

The CBS analysis? The analysis dominated by NBA guys who don't know anything about the college teams they were discussing? Hmmmmm, can't say I agree on that one.

MU/Panther
03-13-2016, 07:05 PM
It was overkill.

Gato78
03-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Syracuse gets again, with the committee overlooking the part of the season Boeheim was suspended. No integrity. CBS was lambasted on Twitter--especially when the bracket was released. Deservedly so.

CaribouJim
03-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Syracuse gets again, with the committee overlooking the part of the season Boeheim was suspended. No integrity.

When has a team that was arguably a bubble team and then loses 5 of 6 gets in? It's insane. Monmouth knocked off multiple power confence teams and played a $hitload on the road doing it. Inexcusable.

Normally the Selection Committee does a very good job IMO, laid an egg this year.

MU/Panther
03-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Syracuse has 5 top 50 wins, but an RPI of 71.

pbiflyer
03-13-2016, 07:44 PM
The CBS analysis? The analysis dominated by NBA guys who don't know anything about the college teams they were discussing? Hmmmmm, can't say I agree on that one.

Even Barkley said one of his picks was because others told him to pick it. It seems that the NCAA and CBS are bent on ruining the almost unruinable. :mad:

CaribouJim
03-13-2016, 09:10 PM
I think TNT's NBA studio show is great TV and has been for years, but why do they think that they are needed to draw more eyes to the NCAA tourney? I wonder how Kellogg and company feel. Someone has already mentioned it, but less is more in this case. Feels so forced.

CaribouJim
03-13-2016, 09:16 PM
Here is the TV lineup for the games themselves:

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2016/03/13/media-circus-ncaa-tournament-coverage-guide-march-madness

Edit: See Richard Deitsch roast the Selection Show under the Noise Report.

MUBB713
03-13-2016, 11:35 PM
The selection show was so hilarious. They took for ever to release the first half of the bracket. There was even a segment where they said "in case you just joined us" and went over the whole first half of the bracket again for 10 minutes and went to a commercial again. Quickly thereafter, someone figured out everyone was talking about the matchups on Twitter and gumble couldn't get the rest of the teams out of his mouth fast enough. First half took an hour. Second half took 5 minutes. So funny. The blew it big time.

Also, the inclusion of Syracuse confirms that God does not exist. Unbelievable how they reward that program with a bid.

MU/Panther
03-14-2016, 12:06 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2016-03-13/march-madness-ncaa-tournament-television-schedule-turner-sports-and-cbs

Goose85
03-14-2016, 12:06 PM
Heard Izzo on Mike and Mike this morning.
While he normally doesn't have to sweat being in the tourney, he did complain a bit saying he doesn't know from year to year what the committee is looking for (of course he was talking seed).

Calipari (like him or not) made some good points on that topic as well. He was asked about beating Texas A&M for the championship, and A&M got a 3 seed while Kentucky got a 4 seed.

"... that little group of 10 who says this year it's top-50 wins. Well, last year it was road wins, two years ago it was RPI. It's a moving target. Instead of making it this is how we're gonna rate these teams."

"What is the criteria? You ready? Every member has his own criteria. What? So, is it top-50 wins? Is it road wins? Is it strength of schedule? Is it team efficiency,..."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25516197/watch-john-calipari-goes-on-epic-rant-regarding-kentuckys-seed

IWB
03-14-2016, 12:22 PM
I hate the fact that mid-major conference champs have to play in the play in games.

I don't give a crap what conference they play in, if they won their tourney they deserve to be in. The play-in games are not "in". When you get to the NCAA tourney it is a sight to see, the lights are brighter, the crowd is huge, the shirts and cups have the names of the 8 schools on them, the host city is alive and buzzing...

The play in games? Crowd - weak, local excitement - weak, NCAA feel - none. They aren't "in".

So much talk about the last four in, the last four out, why is it not obvious that these are the teams that should play?

MUBasketball
03-14-2016, 12:27 PM
I hate the fact that mid-major conference champs have to play in the play in games.

I don't give a crap what conference they play in, if they won their tourney they deserve to be in. The play-in games are not "in". When you get to the NCAA tourney it is a sight to see, the lights are brighter, the crowd is huge, the shirts and cups have the names of the 8 schools on them, the host city is alive and buzzing...

The play in games? Crowd - weak, local excitement - weak, NCAA feel - none. They aren't "in".

So much talk about the last four in, the last four out, why is it not obvious that these are the teams that should play?

Great point, so true.

And as many have pointed out nationally since the brackets came out, the "little guys" (St. Bonaventure, Monmouth, etc) got screwed again. Those are good teams capable of pulling a March Madness upset. Isn't that the whole fun of this?

Nukem2
03-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Syracuse gets again, with the committee overlooking the part of the season Boeheim was suspended. No integrity. CBS was lambasted on Twitter--especially when the bracket was released. Deservedly so.
Not responding to Gato here, but Cuse is making the committee look good as Cuse is up 23 on Dayton as I post here.

TheSultan
03-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Dayton really didn't play all that well the last month of the season.

Nukem2
03-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Dayton really didn't play all that well the last month of the season.
Güess that Archie is no longer the flavor of the month......

MU/Panther
03-18-2016, 01:34 PM
Just cause a team wins in the tournament, doesn't mean they should be in.

jpvegas52
03-19-2016, 09:19 AM
I think Calipari has a good point on having more basketball people on the committee. The seedings this year were pretty bad. By my count Vegas had 8 higher seeds favored over the lower seed, with another 2 games as picks.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-19-2016, 10:39 AM
Not responding to Gato here, but Cuse is making the committee look good as Cuse is up 23 on Dayton as I post here.

Disagree. Playing well in the tournament does not warrant inclusion. Syracuse still shouldn't be in, just like VCU shouldn't have been in when they made the Final Four. The committee discounting what Syracuse did when Boeheim was out on a suspension the NCAA enforced was a sham. They could win the whole tournament and it still wouldn't justify the decision to include them. Syracuse has no business being in this tournament.

CaribouJim
03-19-2016, 10:56 AM
I think Calipari has a good point on having more basketball people on the committee. The seedings this year were pretty bad. By my count Vegas had 8 higher seeds favored over the lower seed, with another 2 games as picks.

The committee typically does very well. This year was most certainly a horrific exception - train wreck. However, not a fan of getting more "basketball people" on the committee as I would be afraid that it would put too much of a dose of the old boy network into the formula. I just can't get the memory of Bobby Knight's voice out of my head while he incessantly called for more "basketball people" to be involved - I can't help but think he would have had every Big 10 team in the tourney - granted, a slight exaggeration. I can't forget Jay Bilas after MU beat Kentucky in '03 saying that he would have preferred to have had Kentucky in the FF as they "were a better team". Granted, MU got slaughtered against KU, but there is that mentality that favors the Football 5.

Maybe if they had a very strict vetting process to chose a couple ex-coaches including non-power conference representation I could live with it and only if the committee lays a big turd again next year.