PDA

View Full Version : So are we going to Vegas?

unclejohn
03-13-2016, 06:42 PM
The NIT sure doesn't look good, especially since the NCAA did not give at-large bids to any of the deserving smaller conference schools. Obviously, we are not going to touch the CBI. The question is is anyone going to the CBI? The last time I looked, they had one team committed. The CIT was about half full with twice as many slots to fill.

So would we even be interested in the Vegas tourney? I think it will be a good one, much more like the old NIT. They will aim for name teams and the best others available. I suspect that would include us, or at least we would be considered. Do you think we would take it?

Markedman
03-13-2016, 08:58 PM
No

#mubb wasn't selected to play in the NIT Sunday night & won't participate in any other postseason tournaments.

ge1974
03-13-2016, 09:05 PM
This sucks. I guess the powers to be don't care enough about opportunities to make this team better and appease the majority of their fan base. I would like to hear some logical explanation as to why they don't want to continue playing.

IrwinFletcher
03-13-2016, 09:06 PM
Well, if you read message boards, the feeling seems to be that a majority of fans are not interested in the NIT or Vegas 16. I wonder if that played into any of it.

TheSultan
03-13-2016, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure "the majority of their fan base" cared all that much about the Vegas tournament.

Nukem2
03-13-2016, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure "the majority of their fan base" cared all that much about the Vegas tournament.
As a non- contributor and rare game show up, I suspect you may be in a minority? Talk is always big.

MUfan12
03-14-2016, 08:58 AM
This sucks. I guess the powers to be don't care enough about opportunities to make this team better and appease the majority of their fan base. I would like to hear some logical explanation as to why they don't want to continue playing.

How's this- @edmillervp: Looks as if @VegasSixteen could steer clear of regional final weekend, trim to 8. Seems prudent. #odu in "at the moment" but noon will tell

They can't fill out their field, and now are trying to move the dates around two weeks out. Still mad?

ge1974
03-14-2016, 09:17 AM
Who the hell is edmillervp?

MUfan12
03-14-2016, 09:21 AM
Who the hell is edmillervp?

A writer who covers Old Dominion, who has been tracking on the Vegas tournament. A Louisiana Tech writer is echoing his comments, saying that the field might be cut if the thing happens at all.

It gives you and idea of what level of teams this thing is attracting. I'm glad MU passed on it.

ge1974
03-14-2016, 09:25 AM
Well, I guess the Vegas tourney didn't plan very well. No , disappointed but not mad.

Markedman
03-14-2016, 11:44 AM
https://twitter.com/BrienMartin26/status/709418995108151296

MayorBeluga
03-14-2016, 11:48 AM
https://twitter.com/BrienMartin26/status/709418995108151296

Great find and he makes a good point. The fact he's a Tottenham fan only makes him a better person. :cool:

MUAlphaBangura
03-14-2016, 12:19 PM
But wait, what about everybody on the board that insists we should be lobbying to play in the Vegas 16? With that group of schools, are you still all outraged over Marquette's decision not to play in it? Yeah. Didn't think so.

MUBasketball
03-14-2016, 12:22 PM
But wait, what about everybody on the board that insists we should be lobbying to play in the Vegas 16? With that group of schools, are you still all outraged over Marquette's decision not to play in it? Yeah. Didn't think so.

Amen. I'd much rather just fold up shop for the season as opposed to drag it on for 2 more weeks (when almost every single team will be done playing by that point) to play Illinois State or East Tennessee State in a meaningless tournament.

IWB
03-14-2016, 12:26 PM
I bet there were a handful of teams like Marquette that were sitting there waiting to see who was in the Vegas 16. Marquette and another handful of big schools were considering but nobody wanted to be first to commit. None did, so it is what it is.

MUfan12
03-14-2016, 12:27 PM

I get why people wanted them to keep playing, but I wouldn't want to risk injury playing Towson in a Vegas8 game.

I would be furious if Luke re-injured his shoulder, or if one of the guys broke a bone in his foot, or any other injury that takes away from offseason development time. Just not worth it.

Nukem2
03-14-2016, 01:01 PM
I bet there were a handful of teams like Marquette that were sitting there waiting to see who was in the Vegas 16. Marquette and another handful of big schools were considering but nobody wanted to be first to commit. None did, so it is what it is.That would be my take.

MUAlphaBangura
03-14-2016, 01:06 PM
I bet there were a handful of teams like Marquette that were sitting there waiting to see who was in the Vegas 16. Marquette and another handful of big schools were considering but nobody wanted to be first to commit. None did, so it is what it is.

I bet not. :cool:

Nukem2
03-14-2016, 01:09 PM
I bet not. :cool:
IWB did say "teams LIKE Marquette". ;)

Gato78
03-14-2016, 02:13 PM
I do not buy the injury argument whatsoever. They play pick up all the time. Should that stop because someone might get hurt?

Nukem2
03-14-2016, 02:17 PM
I do not buy the injury argument whatsoever. They play pick up all the time. Should that stop because someone might get hurt?Yeah all these players, not just MU, play 52/7 in one form or another. Hard to buy the injury argument. Could hurt oneself like OJ Mayo falling down steps... ;)

unclejohn
03-14-2016, 02:33 PM

I expect that most of the big names were not even considering. Marquette made the announcement pretty quickly after the NIT bids came out that they were through for the season. So did Kansas State and LSU and Northwestern. A few others like Illinois State and Oakland started hinting that they wanted to go to Vegas early on. I am not sure what the limitations are, but it seems to me that the committee should have been on the phone for a week with teams like Marquette that were hoping for an NIT bid and getting commitments out of them. It cannot be that difficult. In past years, the CBI filled its field pretty quickly with a fair number of major conference teams and a handful of second-tier conferences, like C-USA (before they were raided by the American) and the MAC. The CIT filled up quickly, and even the CBI, which nobody seems to want to play in this year, managed to release its bracket by this morning. They should have had half the bracket full by the time the NIT field was announced. Lots of schools seem to be concluding that these tournaments are not worth it. The idea for this one was better, and maybe some big name programs are sitting back and watching to see how the first year goes, but in that case, they should have had their ducks lined up before Sunday.

But another factor I think is that these tournaments have proven to be of limited value. Someone on Scoop or somewhere made a comment on how sad it was that Wojo said his players were exhausted, when he could see steel workers outside his building working in the middle of the summer heat. Stupid. Steel workers are getting paid, and they are actually producing something. Even for the Vegas tournament, teams have to pay to play. For what? A couple weeks more of practice and some possible appearances on CBSSN? Wojo is right. The team got their extra practices in last year before Italy. Someone else turned them down because they have an upcoming foreign trip. I think their field will be better than the CBI, but the CBI has the likes of Duquense and Omaha.