PDA

View Full Version : First Game of BET Not An Automatic "W"

Phantom Warrior
03-07-2016, 10:40 AM
I know St. John's is 1-17 in league play, and their RPI is low. But that doesn't mean we can take a first-round "W" for granted.

In fact, I would take a one-point win right now, no questions asked.

We struggled with St. Johns in both games this year.

In the first game, it was a 2-point game with under two minutes left, and St. John's played without Sima. The Johnnies were up 8 at the half.

In the second game, it was a 3-point game with under a minute left, and St. John's again played without Sima.

SJU knows they can play with us, and they now have Sima back.

SJU lost to Seton Hall by 1 point, so they are capable of playing well.

What concerns me is that both Sima and Yakwe are capable of making life miserable for Luke and Henry. They are extremely quick and extremely athletic. And they both have no-stop motors on the boards. Both are also excellent shot-blockers.

Bottom line, I think, is that while we could certainly blow out SJU as they have been blown out numerous times this year, if we don't bring our "A" game, we could have a quick exit from the tournament and end up with no NIT.

Luke and Henry have to avoid foul problems, and we have to handle SJU's pressure defense without turning the ball over. Neither is a given.

Nukem2
03-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Yes, it could be a difficult game. SJU has played poorly over its last 3 games, but Yakwe and Sima could cause MU issues. Not only for Luke and Henry, but also for Haanif, JJ, Duane and trace as those guys can really block shots. And, this is really a home game for SJU.

MUAlphaBangura
03-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Have Sima and Yakwe been on the court at the same time since Sima has returned? They seem to be the same player with Yakwe maybe a bit more polished offensively.

Nukem2
03-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Have Sima and Yakwe been on the court at the same time since Sima has returned? They seem to be the same player with Yakwe maybe a bit more polished offensively.They have, but they alternate a lot depending upon the opponent. Given Henry and Luke, I suspect they will play quite a bit together against MU.

Gato78
03-07-2016, 12:48 PM
I am not willing to concede that SJU will have more fans at the game than MU. The only home court advantage will be that it is close to home. There will not be a lot of MU fans but I doubt there will be many SJU fans there.

Nukem2
03-07-2016, 12:58 PM
I am not willing to concede that SJU will have more fans at the game than MU. The only home court advantage will be that it is close to home. There will not be a lot of MU fans but I doubt there will be many SJU fans there.

All may be true, but its still a home game. SJU has played 7 games at MSG this season, so it is obviously used to the feel of the venue regardless of the crowd. Crowds ranged from 10,000 to 13,000. Obviously not all will go to the BET, but I suspect they will have a few.

MUAlphaBangura
03-07-2016, 03:39 PM
Plus, fans in general tend to cheer on the underdogs in a tourney setting like this. Think X fans would rather see their team play St. Johns.

Markedman
03-07-2016, 03:46 PM
I take no game for granted.......especially this year.

With that said we are better then St John's and should win the game.

79warrior
03-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Yes, it could be a difficult game. SJU has played poorly over its last 3 games, but Yakwe and Sima could cause MU issues. Not only for Luke and Henry, but also for Haanif, JJ, Duane and trace as those guys can really block shots. And, this is really a home game for SJU.

SJU fans have given up. Home game in name only. The building will be more than half empty, especially given the late start. No interest in this matchup in NYC other than from MU fans and SJU fans. Two teams going nowhere unfortunately.

TheSultan
03-08-2016, 10:14 AM
I think this is going to be a much more difficult game than we are hoping. I would not be surprised at all if it ends up a loss.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-08-2016, 09:59 PM
I could easily see SJU pulling off the upset. They're just a tough matchup for us. Not intimidated by our size, very strong inside, and play very hard. I expect it will be close until the end and wouldn't at all be surprised to see us lose. I know they have 1 league win and haven't been playing all that close to teams of late, but they'll be up for this.

CaribouJim
03-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Just planting the seed - first NCAA team to win 4 games in 4 consecutive days!!!! "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Wed, Mar 5, 1997 CTOURN N DePaul CUSA W 79 53 19 8 W 2 Scottrade Center
Thu, Mar 6, 1997 CTOURN N Memphis CUSA W 63 45 20 8 W 3 Scottrade Center
Fri, Mar 7, 1997 CTOURN N Cincinnati (10) CUSA W 91 79 21 8 W 4 Scottrade Center
Sat, Mar 8, 1997 CTOURN N Charlotte CUSA W 60 52 22 8 W 5 Scottrade Center

Phantom Warrior
03-09-2016, 12:18 AM
When the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? I thought it was the Irish.

IWB
03-09-2016, 07:04 AM
Animal house was on just last night.