PDA

View Full Version : Who is our winningest player of all time?

pbiflyer
03-03-2016, 08:18 PM
I was watching the Arizona game and they mentioned that one of the players needs three wins to be the winningest player of all time there. It got me thinking who ours is? I'm going to guess Lazar.
I'm sure there were players in The 70s who had better three-year careers. I also wonder who the most winning three-year player would be?

CaribouJim
03-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Zar may be right - in any event, they have that list in the Marquette game program.

TheSultan
03-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Is winningest defined as most number of games won or highest percentage? If it is sheer number of wins, Chris Otule might be hard to beat given his extra year of eligibility.

MayorBeluga
03-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Percentage, easily Jime Chones. 49-1 if I recall correctly.

CaribouJim
03-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Earl Tatum and Bo (not Ryan) tied with 101 wins. Down the list a bit was Junior C. @ 97 and Zar @ 96 tied with Cubillan.

TedBaxter
03-03-2016, 09:38 PM
I assume Bo PLAYED in the most wins since Earl didn't play in every game as a freshman?

CaribouJim
03-03-2016, 10:02 PM
I assume Bo PLAYED in the most wins since Earl didn't play in every game as a freshman?

Wasn't Earl in the first Freshmen eligible class? However, I'm assuming that Junior had wins that he was associated with when he was injured and not playing?

pbiflyer
03-03-2016, 10:15 PM
When did freshmen become eligible?

CaribouJim
03-03-2016, 10:21 PM
When did freshmen become eligible?

72-73 season.

CaribouJim
03-03-2016, 10:24 PM

Whoops - I misinterpreted your post Ted - I think you are correct - Earl did sit out a fair number of games as a frosh.

Gato78
03-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Al was paranoid to play Earl because he was a frosh. He was the first after the rule change and Al used him sparingly while Earl got used to the game. When we look at our frosh today, and think back to Earl, who was an AA and one of our all time greats, we must remember to be patient.

Nukem2
03-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Another factor that season was that the roster was huge so PT was at a premium (Lucas, McNeill, Butrym, Mills, Homan (RS?), Johnson, Buchmann, Campbell, Vollmer, Neary, Frazier, Spychalla, Daniels, Washington, McGuire, Delsman, Ostrand, Raymonds and Tatum. Huge roster though those were the days yet of JV ball. Earl did average 22 ppg in JV ball.

PS, MU did have some interesting JV squads. The JV team would play many games at the Arena prior to the varsity game. Maurice Lucas was a monster in those JV games. Too bad he missed frosh eligible by one season.

IWB
03-04-2016, 11:21 AM
Whoops - I misinterpreted your post Ted - I think you are correct - Earl did sit out a fair number of games as a frosh.

Story time:

Earl has some good stories about that. If I remember correctly, he said he was behind Frazier, and frustrated feeling that he wasn't playing. Then one day he was in the union for lunch, and in walks one of the coaches with a recruit. Earl sees them and says to himself, "Lloyd Walton is coming here? I'm never gonna play! I got to get out of this place, I need to transfer."

They had a game in New York. He was nervous as his family was going to be there, he wanted to play, but knew Al wouldn't play him. All of a sudden out of the corner of his eye he sees his uncle stumbling down the stairs behind the bench. Earl wanted to hide. His uncle reaches over the bench and grabs Al by the shoulder. Al turns around and his uncle says, "You need to play Earl, he'll help you!" Al replied, "Thanks, Earl will get his chance."

As his uncle turned to walk back up the steps, Earl could see the booze bottle sticking out of his back pocket and thought, "They are going to kick me out, I'll never play here."

Obviously Earl became and All-American and went on to the NBA, but even someone as good as him has had the transfer thoughts running through his head.

Gato78
03-04-2016, 11:22 AM
I was trying to remember if Earl played in those games before the varsity games and I think he did. Despite the strong roster, Earl was NBA talented and better as a SG or SF than any of them. I know McGuire and Daniels were the 2 guards and the whole controversy surrounding them but Earl was better and there is no one on that roster who was better than Earl as a small forward. My dad and I would always go early to see the frosh games.

Gato78
03-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Earl was ready to leave many times. He was homesick and is a very shy guy. So his uncle had a hipper. Who didn't?

CaribouJim
03-04-2016, 12:13 PM
...and this was and still is one of the best SI covers of all-time. Big contrast between the MU and IU programs - AL vs. BK, MU unis compared to same IU unis to this day, but MU was a very disciplined team - at least on the court. That game should have or at least could have if they used the present day seeding - they were 1 & 2 pretty much all year.

https://www.google.com/search?q=earl+tatum&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiV-t6zz6fLAhXHeCYKHQtlD60Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=qmVC0nhZ4kVz qM%3A

CaribouJim
03-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Earl was ready to leave many times. He was homesick and is a very shy guy. So his uncle had a hipper. Who didn't?

One of my brothers was a year behind Earl, but was on the same floor in McCormick. Earl used to borrow a duffle bag for practice from my brother. First, that would have been Earl's sophomore year and having to borrow a duffle bag - player perks are a tad better nowadays!

You're right - was ready to throw in the towel more than a few times.

TedBaxter
03-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Funny now that Earl is a diehard alum who takes in as many functions as he can. Does he live in Mount Vernon or is he still living in the Milwaukee area?

I remember him at one of the BBQ's and he's sitting there under the tent and around him listening intently were Dominic James, Jerel McNeal and Wesley Matthews.

Nukem2
03-04-2016, 12:49 PM
Funny now that Earl is a diehard alum who takes in as many functions as he can. Does he live in Mount Vernon or is he still living in the Milwaukee area?

I remember him at one of the BBQ's and he's sitting there under the tent and around him listening intently were Dominic James, Jerel McNeal and Wesley Matthews.
In the MKE area. See him often at the games.

CaribouJim
03-04-2016, 02:32 PM
In the MKE area. See him often at the games.

We said hello to him at the DePaul game and was drinking across the bar from him at Chili's of all places next to Allstate Arena. See him often at MU games in Milwaukee.

MayorBeluga
03-04-2016, 02:58 PM
My sister-in-law works with Earl's daughter. Christmas 2014 my sister-in-law got me the throwback Tatum jersey signed by Earl himself. Bestest Christmas present ever!

I've often suggested to MU folks that they need to get those various throwback jerseys signed and include one of each annually at the Blue & Gold Fund Auction.

Gato78
03-04-2016, 04:03 PM
My sister-in-law works with Earl's daughter. Christmas 2014 my sister-in-law got me the throwback Tatum jersey signed by Earl himself. Bestest Christmas present ever!

I've often suggested to MU folks that they need to get those various throwback jerseys signed and include one of each annually at the Blue & Gold Fund Auction.

Damn good idea. Too bad The Dream and Maurice have passed. Need to get a bunch of Chones and Bo jerseys signed ASAP.