PDA

View Full Version : RIP Eddie Einhorn

TedBaxter
02-26-2016, 05:14 AM
Before NBC's weekly games, before ESPN, before CBS, etc. there was TVS put together by Eddie Einhorn and Eddie helped bring Marquette and Al McGuire to the national stage. I'm not sure people in Milwaukee understand the impact Eddie had on Marquette.

Go to the Enberg/Packer story below to see what TVS did for college basketball.

http://www.classictvsports.com/2012_12_01_archive.html

Eddie Einhorn, former owner of the TVS network that televised college basketball, says coaches went from hating TV timeouts to embracing them. In his new book, "How March Became Madness," Einhorn says that Marquette's Al McGuire, desperate for a timeout but not wanting to use one of his own, once ran up the sideline to where Einhorn was sitting and said, "Eddie, are you going to call a TV timeout?"

If not for Eddie, we wouldn't have had Hot Rod Hundley calling the brawl game from Columbia.

https://books.google.com/books?id=oWAQJk_bGhUC&pg=PA261&lpg=PA261&dq=south+carolina+marquette+fight&source=bl&ots=ytIZIBJ-pQ&sig=OluDb8YHhNJG-aPMmwN78zk5kDo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW5NDqpZXLAhXBOSYKHZ0aD6EQ6AEIOzAG#v=on epage&q=south%20carolina%20marquette%20fight&f=false

MUMac
02-26-2016, 05:37 AM
I always loved the TVS broadcasted games. You are spot on, they had a major impact in getting MU and Al known nationally. At that time, they were the show. Pre cable and on one of the 3 networks. Hot Rod Huntley was the pizzazz!

Didn't ESPN either buyout TVS or merge them in? I recall the early years of ESPN, where they had the ESPN/TVS banners at the games they televised.

ge1974
02-26-2016, 09:04 AM
During my four years at MU, TVS televised so many Marquette games on Saturday afternoon. Dick Enberg and Hot Rod Hundley were usually the broadcasters. Great network, perhaps most famous for televising the UCLA-Houston Saturday night battle from the Astrodome where #2 Houston ended #1 UCLA's 47 game winning streak in 1968. Second half shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mx2tfKyBM8

One note from Hot Rod's mention above of the MU-South Carolina game in Jan. 1972 - Maurice Lucas was a freshman and was not on the roster or at the game. If he had been there, someone on South Carolina may have been knocked out.:)

Nukem2
02-26-2016, 09:25 AM
TVS was the lifeblood of my college BB back in the day. Still remember that much anticipated UCLA-Houston game at the Astrodome. Lots of talent in that game!

CaribouJim
02-26-2016, 10:29 AM
One note from Hot Rod's mention above of the MU-South Carolina game in Jan. 1972 - Maurice Lucas was a freshman and was not on the roster or at the game. If he had been there, someone on South Carolina may have been knocked out.:)

I remember multiple MU vs South Carolina games televised on TVS - Al liked playing one of his greatest mentors. As far as Mo knocking out a USC guy, more like he could have killed someone. He would have first assumed the John L. Sullivan pose like his face off with Chocolate Thunder.

The very first game I saw MU play was that triple OT loss to ND in the early '70s - pretty sure that was a TVS game. I'm ashamed to say I was rooting for ND due to parental and sibling affiliations at the time, but eventually and thankfully saw the light. That late night UCLA vs Maryland game was another TVS biggie IIRC.

TVS games were appointment TV simply because there were so few games on TV. On a Saturday now you can see 30 games and on Sundays there's close to double digit women's games.

MUMac
02-26-2016, 11:02 AM
I remember multiple MU vs South Carolina games televised on TVS - Al liked playing one of his greatest mentors. As far as Mo knocking out a USC guy, more like he could have killed someone. He would have first assumed the John L. Sullivan pose like his face off with Chocolate Thunder.

The very first game I saw MU play was that triple OT loss to ND in the early '70s - pretty sure that was a TVS game. I'm ashamed to say I was rooting for ND due to parental and sibling affiliations at the time, but eventually and thankfully saw the light. That late night UCLA vs Maryland game was another TVS biggie IIRC.

TVS games were appointment TV simply because there were so few games on TV. On a Saturday now you can see 30 games and on Sundays there's close to double digit women's games.

Not just that, but no replaying the games at another time, no DVR or other way to tape and watch later. You had to watch it live, and I lived for that!

Nukem2
02-26-2016, 11:33 AM
Not just that, but no replaying the games at another time, no DVR or other way to tape and watch later. You had to watch it live, and I lived for that!Yep, same here.