PDA

View Full Version : Brian Wardle Update

CaribouJim
02-17-2016, 10:50 AM
You think times have been tough at MU...Front page story below the fold in the Tribune sports section this morning...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-bradley-basketball-youngest-team-spt-0217-20160216-story.html#

A whistle had long since assigned time to stand still. The game clock glowed 34.5 seconds on the scoreboard above Bradley freshman guard Dwayne Lautier-Ogunleye's head at center court.

The number under Bradley's name read 16 to Loyola's 23 when Lautier-Ogunleye, a kid from London with a healthy English accent, watched a shot he knew wouldn't count slip into the rim just before halftime of another loss, the Braves' 22nd against four victories to that point.

All he allowed was a shrug and grin as he jogged toward the sideline for a timeout. The 23rd loss followed four days later against Illinois State.

There have been a lot of those kinds of nights for the Braves, the youngest team in the nation. Not everything shows up on the stat sheet or counts on the scoreboard.

Only Navy, which has 11 freshmen, has more first-year players than Bradley's 10. UC Santa Barbara and Northern Arizona also have 10, but none of those teams relies more on its newbies than the Braves.

Of the 12 active players on the roster, the 10 freshmen (including one redshirt freshman) have accounted for 4,495 minutes, tops in the nation by more than 900 minutes over second-place Washington. Those freshmen also average 44.1 points, or 80.4 percent of the Braves offense, which ranks last in the Missouri Valley Conference at 54.9 points per game.

"We had to recruit kids we could lose with," first-year coach Brian Wardle said. "That means high character."

That also means the Braves hope to win for losing, at least down the road, with players ready to be molded. If that means searching the globe far and wide, so be it, Wardle said.

Lautier-Ogunleye, who scored a game-best 18 points that counted during that 54-43 loss to Loyola, is one of four Braves freshmen from outside the United States. The others hail from Australia (Callum Barker), Nigeria (Joel Okafor) and the Netherlands (Luuk van Bree).

"You've got to play the hand you're dealt," Wardle said. "To build a culture, to build a program that lasts, it's important you build it with freshmen and you develop them."

That wasn't necessarily Wardle's initial plan.

Opportunity found

Barker, a 6-foot-9, 245-pound forward, found himself in Peoria from Australia by way of a prep school in Massachusetts. But only after leaning on Google for some background.

His computer screen wasn't lying about some history time has almost forgotten, those powerhouse Bradley teams from the 1950s, two of which made the NCAA tournament final. The eight tournament appearances. The 12 conference championships.

The truth was there, too, about the program's recent history. The 56-106 record during the five seasons before this one.

"I came here open-minded about what I'd go through," said Barker, who played semipro ball back home. "It's definitely met expectations I did have, and exceeded others."

"It was the opportunity, having the full team being turned over. There was an opportunity for playing time and experience right away."

Ronnie Suggs, a freshman guard who originally committed to Missouri, also has a year of prep school on his resume. He, too, said the opportunity to be able to make mistakes, and learn from them, appealed to him.

"We know it's a process," Suggs said. "(Wardle) knows what it takes. If we stay the course, we're not too worried about the wins and losses.

"The toughest part now is not having as many (upperclassmen) to help out with different challenges."

Oak Park-River Forest graduate Ka'Darryl Bell is the only senior, and he recently returned from a wrist injury. Thornwood alumnus Donte Thomas is the only sophomore. There are no juniors.

'A bumpy road'

A sigh escaped Wardle as he scooted his chair closer to a round table in his office inside the appropriately named Renaissance Coliseum.

How fitting the Hinsdale Central graduate, 36, was hired to try to re-inspire college basketball in a city that has a love affair with the sport. Wardle is trying to earn that affection back 10 years after the program's last appearance in the NCAA tournament, one that ended with an improbable run to the Sweet 16.

Twice this season the Braves have lost six in a row, and early in the season they dropped nine straight. The Sweet 16 seems far away. In a lot of ways, it is.

"My word of the year right over there," Wardle said while pointing toward a sign next to a marker board in his office. " 'Perspective.' I've got to keep it all in perspective, of our youth, that it's going to be a bumpy road."

Wardle has been down a similar road. Six-plus years ago he was 30, freshly hired as the youngest coach in Division I at Wisconsin-Green Bay. After going 29-33 during his first two seasons, the Phoenix were 66-32 during his final three.

He knows what it's like to be young, like his players. He knows what it's like to construct expectation.

It starts, he said, with the basics. Basic passing and shooting drills during practice. Basic instruction and constant reminders during games, when the young players are learning on the spot. He wouldn't say publicly what his goals are for a year or two or three down the road, except alluding to 20-plus wins per season at some point.

Wardle didn't plan for this originally. He thought De La Salle alumnus Mike Shaw, a transfer from Illinois, would play. Back injuries made sure he didn't. Wardle dismissed senior Warren Jones, last season's leading scorer, from the team in August. Six players asked to be released from their scholarships after Wardle was hired.

"I've gotten a lot of, 'Oh, I've been in your position,' " Wardle said of words he has heard from fellow coaches. "I just giggle in my mind, like, 'I don't know if anyone in history has been where I'm at right now.' ... I don't know if anyone really understands."

Signs of Progress

One thing Wardle is learning to understand is patience. He's less animated on the sideline during games, but he's not afraid to remind his players of their mistakes. He knows that without upperclassmen, he must do most of the leading.

Wardle said he hates to lose. He also understands it sometimes is necessary to win, a notion not lost on at least one player he recruited.

"I had envisioned our first year together might not go so well," freshman guard Antoine Pittman said. "Some of that is the level of play we have on our schedule."

Oh, yeah, the schedule.

A 30-point loss to Arizona. A 25-point loss to Virginia. A 36-point loss to Texas-Arlington. Another 36-point loss to Northern Iowa. Two defeats by a combined 61 to Wichita State. A 32-pointer to Evansville.

But the Braves said they see progress. Take their 1-for-13 shooting start that spiraled into 4-for-22 against Loyola, a team they beat by a point earlier this season. All the while, Bradley played defense, stayed in a game that a few weeks earlier might have turned into a blowout.

"We want to build off of our defense," Lautier-Ogunleye said. "That's going to be our thing. Yes, it's a little bit annoying our offense isn't clicking, but that's on us."

The next two or three years, that's on them too. And on Wardle.

pskrbina@tribpub.com

Twitter @ChiTribSkrbina

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-17-2016, 04:08 PM
Is Bradley viewed as a much more prominent program than UWGB? Or were there other reasons for him leaving UWGB?

Gato78
02-17-2016, 04:17 PM
Makes a great deal more money. Better conference. Better program investment.

unclejohn
02-17-2016, 04:24 PM
Is Bradley viewed as a much more prominent program than UWGB? Or were there other reasons for him leaving UWGB?

Definitely. The Valley is a huge jump from the Horizon. Wardle can count on playing at least a couple conference games against ranked teams and many of the others will be at least respectable. The HL is definitely a one-bid team now that Butler is gone. The MVC sent four some years back. That was atypical, but in most years, it will get two or three bids. The Big East poached its most consistently good team, but not its best. The Valley has been losing and replacing teams since it was founded, and it still manages to produce at least a couple big ones every year. And I assume the money is significantly better.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-17-2016, 07:30 PM
Makes a great deal more money. Better conference. Better program investment.

Got it, thanks.

warriorfan4life
02-17-2016, 11:14 PM
Definitely. The Valley is a huge jump from the Horizon. Wardle can count on playing at least a couple conference games against ranked teams and many of the others will be at least respectable. The HL is definitely a one-bid team now that Butler is gone. The MVC sent four some years back. That was atypical, but in most years, it will get two or three bids. The Big East poached its most consistently good team, but not its best. The Valley has been losing and replacing teams since it was founded, and it still manages to produce at least a couple big ones every year. And I assume the money is significantly better.

And imagine if Valley had not been a sucker for Loyola's location in Chicago and chose an actual winning program like Belmont or Valpo to replace Creighton. Big fan of the Valley on the whole, but that was a misstep (seeing that Loyola has not made the tourney since 1985, I am not planning on them to make it anytime soon).

IrwinFletcher
02-18-2016, 07:33 AM
Bradley does have a great history and Peoria has long been a hotbed for HS basketball. Dick Versace is a legend down there much like Al is to us.

Here is to hoping that Wardle gets it turned around.

unclejohn
02-18-2016, 09:05 AM
And imagine if Valley had not been a sucker for Loyola's location in Chicago and chose an actual winning program like Belmont or Valpo to replace Creighton. Big fan of the Valley on the whole, but that was a misstep (seeing that Loyola has not made the tourney since 1985, I am not planning on them to make it anytime soon).

I do not believe either Belmont or Valpo were in the equation, and I think Valpo is just too small. Hey, I love the nice Lutherans out there. But they play in a high school gym and the prospects of them getting any bigger are slim. I remember when we played there some years ago. Parking was a mess. I mentioned it to one of the on-campus cops and he said, "We have 4,000 people here for a game tonight!" On the way into the gym, I passed the laundry room where the players' uniforms were being washed. For a media room, they loaded everybody into a classroom down the hall from the gym and brought in pizza. Better food than some places, like their neighbors in South Bend, and they were sure nice about it. I have a real soft spot in my heart for Valpo, but they are small time.

As I understand it, the other candidates for the spot were UIC and UWM. We all know all about UWM. UIC sucks, and has for a long time. They are however big enough and have enough resources that they could conceivably make a jump in class, at least if the state ever gets a budget. But Loyola beat them out, primarily on its commitment to upgrade their program. From what I hear from people who know people, they are prepared to drop a whole lot of money on their program. Last year they won their P2P tournament. That was not a huge accomplishment, but it did mean that the administration was willing to drop $100,000 to have them play in the post-season. That will not happen again, but it does give you some idea of how things are. Last year Loyola had a fairly good run in the conference, finishing somewhere in the middle of the pack. Not at all bad for their first year. Unfortunately, they have not followed it up this year. But there is apparently a commitment to improving. We shall see how it works.

TheSultan
02-18-2016, 09:25 AM
Valpo is as big as some other MVC schools (Drake, Bradley, Evansville) but those are all long time MVC members. Valpo also doesn't really have that much cache. Well supported within their geographic area, but not much beyond.

Given what unclejohn said, it is actually very impressive what they have been able to accomplish over the years. Bryce Drew looks like a real good up and coming coach.

MU/Panther
02-18-2016, 09:27 AM
The MVC is not a 'huge" jump compared to the Horizon League. An example of a huge jump is Creighton going to the Big East from the MVC, but yes Bradley pays way more than Green Bay.

TheSultan
02-18-2016, 09:38 AM
The MVC is not a 'huge" jump compared to the Horizon League. An example of a huge jump is Creighton going to the Big East from the MVC, but yes Bradley pays way more than Green Bay.

The top of the MVC usually consists of ranked teams who are a threat to get to the S16 in any given year. The middle and bottom of the MVC are pretty much like the Horizon League.

Nukem2
02-18-2016, 09:39 AM
The MVC is not a 'huge" jump compared to the Horizon League. An example of a huge jump is Creighton going to the Big East from the MVC, but yes Bradley pays way more than Green Bay.In the post-Butler era, I suspect the MVC (see WSU/UNI) is now much better at the top than the Horizon. Beyond that, not much difference.

MU/Panther
02-18-2016, 09:47 AM
In the post-Butler era, I suspect the MVC (see WSU/UNI) is now much better at the top than the Horizon. Beyond that, not much difference. Without a question.

In terms of attendance. MVC is great! UNI is weird this season. Beating UNC, Iowa State and Wichita State, but nine plus 100+ RPI loses.

UWM would jump to go to the MVC. Thanks, Andy Geiger for moving the team to the craphole Klotsche Center and killing any chance of replacing Creighton.

Nukem2
02-18-2016, 09:57 AM
Without a question.

In terms of attendance. MVC is great! UNI is weird this season. Beating UNC, Iowa State and Wichita State, but nine plus 100+ RPI loses.

UWM would jump to go to the MVC. Thanks, Andy Geiger for moving the team to the craphole Klotsche Center and killing any chance of replacing Creighton.Yeah it is weird this year. Though, I was thinking about UNI having a solid program over the years.

MUBasketball
02-18-2016, 12:03 PM
UWM would jump to go to the MVC. Thanks, Andy Geiger for moving the team to the craphole Klotsche Center and killing any chance of replacing Creighton.

I seriously doubt that had anything to do with it. They wanted a Chicago team, period.

TheSultan
02-18-2016, 12:16 PM
I seriously doubt that had anything to do with it. They wanted a Chicago team, period.

And UWM's troubles go way beyond where they play.

TheSultan
02-18-2016, 12:18 PM
Interesting that the Horizon has really become more of a public school league over time. When Marquette was a member, it was all privates. Even a couple years ago it was pretty even. Now with two privates leaving (Butler, Loyola) and two publics coming on board (Oakland, Northern KY), the only remaining private schools are Detroit and Valpo.

MU/Panther
02-18-2016, 12:25 PM
I seriously doubt that had anything to do with it. They wanted a Chicago team, period. Didn't help, that's for sure. Chicago was a huge factor, but keep in mind it's only Loyola. Main difference was the HUGE upgrade on the arena for Loyola. Went from a gym to an nice small arena.

unclejohn
02-18-2016, 01:12 PM
Valpo is as big as some other MVC schools (Drake, Bradley, Evansville) but those are all long time MVC members. Valpo also doesn't really have that much cache. Well supported within their geographic area, but not much beyond.

Given what unclejohn said, it is actually very impressive what they have been able to accomplish over the years. Bryce Drew looks like a real good up and coming coach.

You are right. Valpo is about the same size as Bradley and bigger than Drake and Evansville. I suppose they could be a candidate. I do not think they were.

unclejohn
02-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Didn't help, that's for sure. Chicago was a huge factor, but keep in mind it's only Loyola. Main difference was the HUGE upgrade on the arena for Loyola. Went from a gym to an nice small arena.

What really did not help was the UWM did not have an athletic director. In terms of the arena, UWM is actually better, though technically they do not own the place, but it is twice the size of Loyola. If Loyola actually gets good, they are going to have to play some of their games elsewhere. I suspect at DePaul's new facility. I wonder if Loyola being private had something to do with it as well. They replaced a private school. I think some of the private members of the MVC did not want to get completely outnumbered by the public institutions.

warriorfan4life
02-18-2016, 06:38 PM
You are right. Valpo is about the same size as Bradley and bigger than Drake and Evansville. I suppose they could be a candidate. I do not think they were.

I remember hearing that Belmont and Valpo were the other finalists. I personally would have chosen Belmont, as that is a great program in a good market (Nashville).

unclejohn
02-19-2016, 11:57 AM
That is interesting, but it is really a stretch to figure that Tennessee is in the Missouri Valley. Of course, the same is true of Illinois and Indiana.

TheSultan
02-19-2016, 12:25 PM
That is interesting, but it is really a stretch to figure that Tennessee is in the Missouri Valley. Of course, the same is true of Illinois and Indiana.

Or that Creighton is in the "East"

But seriously the Missouri Valley is one of the oldest conferences in college sports. Former members include Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, Grinnell, and Louisville. In the 70s it had two schools in Texas and one in New Mexico. Geography has apparently never been one of its strong suits!

Nukem2
02-19-2016, 12:30 PM

But seriously the Missouri Valley is one of the oldest conferences in college sports. Former members include Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, Grinnell, and Louisville. In the 70s it had two schools in Texas and one in New Mexico. Geography has apparently never been one of its strong suits!
Most major conferences seem to be challenged geographically or mathematically.... ;)

unclejohn
02-19-2016, 02:26 PM

Actually, it might be the oldest conference anywhere. Originally, it contained several of the schools that went on to be the pre-Big 12 Big Eight. Then the really big state universities split with the smaller ones and formed two different conferences. There is some debate about which one is the real successor to the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Conference or whatever it was called. A very interesting history.