PDA

View Full Version : Seton Hall

Goose85
02-03-2016, 09:29 AM
MU heads east to take on Seton Hall tonight in what I hope is a 180 from the last game we played with them.

Seton Hall is a very young team. I think they start all sophs, and really only have one senior that plays, and really no juniors.
Barring issues, I would expect Seton Hall won't really lose anyone, as none are ready for the league (according to mock drafts).

As we know with a young team, Seton Hall can be up and down.
I think we played soft last time, and let Seton Hall outplay and out work us. I think we will approach this game differently.

MU in a close one tonight, coming down to the last minute.

Nukem2
02-03-2016, 09:49 AM
Hope you are right. But, SHU has been playing well in its last 5 games winning at Providence, losing by 1 to Nova, losing @ Xavier by 8, beating SJU by 19 and winning @ Creighton by 10. Host SHU is favored by 7 or 8 tonight. Last time around, Ismael Sanogo really outmuscled Henry and Angel Delgado gave Luke fits. SHU also has a deep backcourt and MU has no answer for Desi Rodriguez. MU needs to bring its "A" game tonight.

Phantom Warrior
02-03-2016, 10:30 AM
We played SHU even for a half, and then looked like total crap the second half.

In all honesty, I will be shocked if we pull off the upset.

Delgado is quicker, stronger, and more aggressive than Luke is. That isn't going to change tonight. Rodriguez is still a tough match up for us even if JJ is now playing more minutes than Sandy. We don't have anyone who plays with the kind of motor Rodriguez has.

Whitehead has turned into a decent point guard who can go off for 20 on any given night. I don't think either Traci or Haanif can contain him - only Whitehead can contain Whitehead.

Carrington had a crazy game against us. Not only did he score, but I think he had something like 10 rebounds. I don't see that happening a second time, but he's still a threat.

As far as Sanogo, we don't have anyone like him on our team either - that defensive stopper who can match up with a 3 or a 4.

If we get routed by 20 again, I will be extremely disappointed. I don't think we win, but I am hoping it will be close (maybe 5 - 6 points). My guess, however, is that it will be a 10 - 12 point loss.

SHU is much better than I ever expected. I figured they'd be the 8th or 9th best team in the conference.

I guess we'll find out the next two games how far we've come since the start of conference play.

unclejohn
02-03-2016, 11:00 AM
If we can stick with them for a half, we can stick with them for a game. The big takeaway from the Butler game is that we played them to the end and did not fold. If we can do that tonight, we definitely have a shot. Tough to win on the road, especially against a good team, but this is a winnable game.

Nukem2
02-03-2016, 11:41 AM
If we can stick with them for a half, we can stick with them for a game. The big takeaway from the Butler game is that we played them to the end and did not fold. If we can do that tonight, we definitely have a shot. Tough to win on the road, especially against a good team, but this is a winnable game.Really did not stick with them for a half. We were down 22-12 at the 13 minute mark and looked bad. then got hot and had a one point lead at halftime. Wheels then fell off again. So really just a quarter of the game.

Markedman
02-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Seton Hall turned it over a bunch after Whitehead got into foul trouble IIRC...that allowed MU to get a bunch of easy run outs.

I think we went the whole first half without making 1 jump shot.

Nukem2
02-03-2016, 11:54 AM
Seton Hall turned it over a bunch after Whitehead got into foul trouble IIRC...that allowed MU to get a bunch of easy run outs.

I think we went the whole first half without making 1 jump shot.Yep, forgot about that.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Need to keep the ball in Whitehead's hands. The kid loves shooting and he's not a good shooter. Seton Hall as a team is also not very good from three, despite their 50% performance against us. I'd definitely mix defenses on them. In man, keep Sandy or Haney on Whitehead, guys with length. Try to keep him out of the lane but give him room to shoot. He loves shooting and it's not a strength. Then work in zone and let them shoot over it. But when you do, everyone needs to be willing to crash the boards. Last time around, the Pirates got 42.1% of the offensive rebounds. That's ridiculous. We need to get to those rebounds.

mufan2003
02-03-2016, 01:04 PM
IIRC, MU's guards also did a poor job keeping Seton Hall's guards out of the lane. Fischer and Henry need to be tougher against Delgado and Sanogo, but our guards have to be better against dribble penetration.

Nukem2
02-03-2016, 01:12 PM
IIRC, MU's guards also did a poor job keeping Seton Hall's guards out of the lane. Fischer and Henry need to be tougher against Delgado and Sanogo, but our guards have to be better against dribble penetration.MU had trouble with that in the win over Butler. Roosevelt Jones and Kelan Martin were getting in the lane at will on Saturday. Can't let that happen tonight.

bleedbluegold03
02-03-2016, 01:19 PM
FWIW Kenpom gives us a 15% chance of winning, with his model predicting 77-66

I have no idea what to expect tonight, Saturday was really encouraging...hopefully we can get some momentum.

Halo
02-03-2016, 04:15 PM
We are just too inconsistent yet to expect to win there. I am worried we lay another egg.

IWB
02-03-2016, 08:43 PM
After being down by 9 for some time, I liked our fight with the comeback, and only being down 3 at half?

I noticed one thing about Henry's rebounding on the defensive end. This game is a perfect example - teams all know that Luke has a habit of getting into foul trouble so they are driving at him constantly, trying to draw the foul. Fortunately tonight Luke has not been fouling, but Henry positions himself on the opposite side of hoop and collects damn near every miss.

Smart game planning.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-03-2016, 08:47 PM
The second half was where we unraveled last time against Seton Hall, this will be a good opportunity to see just how far we have come.

DCwarrior
02-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Seton Hall is an extremely physical team

DCwarrior
02-03-2016, 09:16 PM
JJJ looks great...Cohen looks lost

IWB
02-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Agree - and sorry, this may have been discussed in the past, but what's with the lobsters?

Markedman
02-03-2016, 09:23 PM
We can't stay in front of them....turnovers and defensive rebounding killing us again

Markedman
02-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Sandy air balled a layup.......that pretty much sums up the state of his game right now

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Man I feel bad for Sandy. He's just at a zero confidence level

Markedman
02-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Whitehead just dominating the game

Mucrisco
02-03-2016, 09:35 PM
They are packing it in on defense so much right now. We really need more shooters.

Markedman
02-03-2016, 09:41 PM
The Hall just too strong and athletic for us. They contest everything in the paint. Defense has been a sieve in the 2nd half....very similar to the first time we played them.

Markedman
02-03-2016, 09:51 PM
https://twitter.com/painttouches/status/695091780530913280

Gato78
02-03-2016, 09:54 PM
Excluding last year, some of the worst guard play in many years.

AbovetheRim
02-03-2016, 10:02 PM
As I mentioned earlier in the week, the offense really tends to struggle with Sandy in the lineup. He's contributing nothing on that end.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Agree - and sorry, this may have been discussed in the past, but what's with the lobsters?

They call their arena "the Rock" ... So they are Rock Lobsters...

Halo
02-03-2016, 10:26 PM
I believe it was 60-57 when Sandy saw an opening and drove the lane and instead of pulling up for a floater, got a charge. That was it after that.

warriorfan4life
02-03-2016, 11:20 PM
I believe it was 60-57 when Sandy saw an opening and drove the lane and instead of pulling up for a floater, got a charge. That was it after that.

And right back at the other end, Hall got multiple offensive rebounds and ended up hitting a three (and then threes the next two possessions as well).

Goose85
02-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Our overall play wasn't stellar really at any position in this game. Seton Hall is tougher than we are. We made Delgado look all world with 13 boards (5 offensive) and 19 points.
Whitehead played like he was projected coming out of high school, and really this Hall team can be very good.

Problem is Seton Hall is very young, and should only be better next year. I know we keep talking about our team being young, but Seton Hall is really young.

Of the 200 minutes played in the game, minutes played by players above soph for Seton Hall was 25, basically one senior and 2 scrub minutes. That is only 12.5%, meaning 87.5% of the minutes played will be back, and will still not be seniors.

For MU, if you include Henry in the calculation as he is a one and done, the juniors and Henry combined for 101 minutes or over 50%. That means less than 50% of our minutes were played by Soph or Frosh not named Henry (I include Henry as one and done players, as for future purposes, they are like seniors).

I thought a relative bright spot was the play of JJ. Get him some openings and he is one guy that can create a good shot near the paint.