PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Watch

mufan2003
02-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Yes, it's ESPN, but I think Eamonn Brennan does a fair job. He mentions there are so very few locks at this point of the season. Too many games left to be played. FWIW:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-02-2016, 03:11 PM
And we are not even on the radar, which is a good call at the moment.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-02-2016, 05:00 PM
Agreed MKE - we shouldn't be in the discussion at this point. Doesn't mean we cant go on a run to get back in it, but man that loss to DePaul, ugh.

As a side note he does say "Lowlights for Wiscy - home loss to Marq"

MUwarrior1090
02-03-2016, 11:54 AM
I posted this on another board but I think by rule they omit teams with RPI over 100. Win tonight and we could be in next weeks edition.

bleedbluegold03
02-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Given everything we've seen this season, I'd be very satisfied with an NIT birth.

Would signal notable improvement from the past couple of years and get us some momentum under Wojo.

Seeing our remaining schedule, the opportunity is still definitely there. An uneducated guess, but I'd wager even 8-11 could get us in.

AlexJesswein
02-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Given everything we've seen this season, I'd be very satisfied with an NIT birth.

Would signal notable improvement from the past couple of years and get us some momentum under Wojo.

Seeing our remaining schedule, the opportunity is still definitely there. An uneducated guess, but I'd wager even 8-11 could get us in.

We weren't all that close with a 9-9 record in Buzz's last year. Add to it that we may be compared with Georgetown, Seton Hall, Creighton, Butler for NIT bids and the poor RPI and SOS numbers and i think we will have to go 10-8 to have a chance.

Nukem2
02-03-2016, 01:39 PM
We weren't all that close with a 9-9 record in Buzz's last year. Add to it that we may be compared with Georgetown, Seton Hall, Creighton, Butler for NIT bids and the poor RPI and SOS numbers and i think we will have to go 10-8 to have a chance.
Need to get a sub-90 RPI to get to the NIT especially with automatic bids to regular season champs who lose in their conference tourneys. The lowest RPI last year was 90. I think MU was 96 in Buzz's last season. I suspect the selection committee looks heavily at the RPI for the NIT.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-03-2016, 02:18 PM
9-9 should get it done this year and I believe would get us over a 90 RPI, with that said a win tonight would go a long way in helping us get to the NIT as Seton Hall would be a top 50 win on the road.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Need to get a sub-90 RPI to get to the NIT especially with automatic bids to regular season champs who lose in their conference tourneys. The lowest RPI last year was 90. I think MU was 96 in Buzz's last season. I suspect the selection committee looks heavily at the RPI for the NIT.

92, but we definitely still need to win to get to the NIT. 9-9 or 10-8 should be good for a NIT bid. Though if we finish 7-11 or 8-10, I could see a CBI trip.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-03-2016, 03:32 PM
92, but we definitely still need to win to get to the NIT. 9-9 or 10-8 should be good for a NIT bid. Though if we finish 7-11 or 8-10, I could see a CBI trip.

Doubt we would accept a CBI bid.

MUwarrior1090
02-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Doubt we would accept a CBI bid.

Most years I would agree but with our young team, any postseason play/extra time to develop could be beneficial.

TrevorCandelino
02-03-2016, 04:42 PM
I still believe this team clicks and wins enough games to get into the Dance.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-03-2016, 05:39 PM
I still believe this team clicks and wins enough games to get into the Dance.

I mean we certainly all hope for that, but that's one hell of a hill to climb right now, tonight essentially becomes a must win if that's the case.

Markedman
02-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Faith is a wonderful thing......

TrevorCandelino
02-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Jesuit teachings...,

MayorBeluga
02-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Anyone still think we should be considered anywhere near the bubble?

TedBaxter
02-03-2016, 09:50 PM
And the people who expected an NCAA berth this year show their lack of basketball knowledge.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-03-2016, 09:54 PM
And the people who expected an NCAA berth this year show their lack of basketball knowledge.

This post shows your lack of sports knowledge.

warriorfan4life
02-03-2016, 10:00 PM
One thing I will state with confidence is that Seton Hall is not a bubble team. Nowhere close to that. I expect that their play will do their talking for them, but it feels insane to have Hall on the bubble (especially in this year of crap). I would be surprised if Hall is not wearing white jerseys in their opening round game.

And props to Willard for hanging tough and building this team and reigning in the big personalities. I admittedly thought it would all go up in flames in this year, but this looks a lot like P.J. Carlesimo going from hot seat to hot coach.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-03-2016, 10:06 PM
One thing I will state with confidence is that Seton Hall is not a bubble team. Nowhere close to that. I expect that their play will do their talking for them, but it feels insane to have Hall on the bubble (especially in this year of crap). I would be surprised if Hall is not wearing white jerseys in their opening round game.

And props to Willard for hanging tough and building this team and reigning in the big personalities. I admittedly thought it would all go up in flames in this year, but this looks a lot like P.J. Carlesimo going from hot seat to hot coach.

This is a young team too, if they hang around they could be real good next season also.

warriorfan4life
02-03-2016, 10:14 PM
This is a young team too, if they hang around they could be real good next season also.

I hope Whitehead and Delgado stick around, as they would be a top 15-20 team with them next year.

Mucrisco
02-03-2016, 11:11 PM

I guess I lack basketball knowledge.

Gato78
02-04-2016, 12:20 AM
My confession: I thought we were an NCAA team this year. I thought the influx of talent, especially Henry, would get us there. I further thought that Duke successfully put young players in position to win and they did so repeatedly while Wojo was there. I truly believe we would be a lot better than we are. After 2/3 of the season is over, it appears there are other needed elements to win and I was wrong. Henry needs a bit more of a scorers mentality like he displayed against Butler. I did not appreciate how difficult the adjustment would be for some of the frosh and less than experienced players like Sandy and Luke and JJ. Each has played well in spurts but never the game in game out consistency needed to win in what is a very tough conference. I am disappointed in the lack of toughness--though I think that may come when the youngin's better understand 40 minute intensity. Wojo has even said they float in and float out at times. That did not happen with Butler but was on prominent display against the Hall Monitors. It is frustrating as a fan but the arc is headed in the right direction. It will just take more time than I thought for all of this to gel. We seem to be lacking leadership but maybe with all of the underclassmen playing big roles, it is to be expected. I am not mad. I am not giving up my tickets. I won't boycott anything. I will keep supporting them and enjoy every win and agonize with every loss. Not going to rip college kids on a public message board. I support Wojo and I hope he remains the face of our University for a long time. Tough one tonight but I am not jumping off the bandwagon.

Mucrisco
02-04-2016, 12:30 AM
My confession: I thought we were an NCAA team this year. I thought the influx of talent, especially Henry, would get us there. I further thought that Duke successfully put young players in position to win and they did so repeatedly while Wojo was there. I truly believe we would be a lot better than we are. After 2/3 of the season is over, it appears there are other needed elements to win and I was wrong. Henry needs a bit more of a scorers mentality like he displayed against Butler. I did not appreciate how difficult the adjustment would be for some of the frosh and less than experienced players like Sandy and Luke and JJ. Each has played well in spurts but never the game in game out consistency needed to win in what is a very tough conference. I am disappointed in the lack of toughness--though I think that may come when the youngin's better understand 40 minute intensity. Wojo has even said they float in and float out at times. That did not happen with Butler but was on prominent display against the Hall Monitors. It is frustrating as a fan but the arc is headed in the right direction. It will just take more time than I thought for all of this to gel. We seem to be lacking leadership but maybe with all of the underclassmen playing big roles, it is to be expected. I am not mad. I am not giving up my tickets. I won't boycott anything. I will keep supporting them and enjoy every win and agonize with every loss. Not going to rip college kids on a public message board. I support Wojo and I hope he remains the face of our University for a long time. Tough one tonight but I am not jumping off the bandwagon.

Great post!

IrwinFletcher
02-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Agreed. You can see flashes with a lot of these guys that, with more experience, shows some very real potential. Add a piece or two and there is talent there for multiple NCAA tournaments.

I think Traci is really starting to show what he can be. He is so much more aggressive (sometimes to a fault) and is actually showing some moves. I am really excited about what he can be over the next 3 seasons.