PDA

View Full Version : Big 12/SEC Challenge

CaribouJim
01-30-2016, 08:15 PM
Wasn't there talk about a similar setup on the drawing board for a Big East/PAC 12 Challenge of some sort? I would like a mid-conference season timing as is for the Big 12/SEC Challenge. Both are FS1.

This UK/KU game is certainly entertaining.

MUMac
01-30-2016, 08:25 PM
All, well except for the WVU/FLA, were entertaining. Mid season. Alot of interest. This is a heck of a challenge.

And, yes, there was "speculation" of a BE/Big12 Challenge.

One last thing. Unfortunately, my daughter has been fighting a virus. KU had an indoor home meet this weekend. She could not run. Otherwise, I would have been at this game. Damn!!!

CaribouJim
01-30-2016, 08:42 PM
All, well except for the WVU/FLA, were entertaining. Mid season. Alot of interest. This is a heck of a challenge.

And, yes, there was "speculation" of a BE/Big12 Challenge.

One last thing. Unfortunately, my daughter has been fighting a virus. KU had an indoor home meet this weekend. She could not run. Otherwise, I would have been at this game. Damn!!!

Some great games at KU this year. I have a niece and nephew who are recent KU grads and their father, my brother, lives there and I am ashamed to say I have yet to see a game there.

MU/Panther
01-30-2016, 08:42 PM
Wasn't there talk about a similar setup on the drawing board for a Big East/PAC 12 Challenge of some sort? .
Arizona and UCLA were not for it.

MUMac
01-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Some great games at KU this year. I have a niece and nephew who are recent KU grads and their father, my brother, lives there and I am ashamed to say I have yet to see a game there.

I have not, either, as typically the indoor track home meets are when the basketball team is on the road. This year, though, was my best opportunity. Two weeks ago, we were there for a meet, but had to leave on Saturday to get back to Madison as I had to host some clients at the damn badger/MSU game :mad:. That Saturday, they were honoring the Cross Country team, who made it to Nationals for the first time since 1994 and my daughter was on the court to through t-shirts to the crowd (yes, she definitely throws like a girl!). This was my next best opportunity.

As my daughter said, "you have to make it to the Phog before I graduate".

CaribouJim
01-30-2016, 09:00 PM
Arizona and UCLA were not for it.

Really? Why, did they think the Big East is slumming? You'd think they want to get some additional exposure on the east coast. Geez.

MUAlphaBangura
01-31-2016, 09:16 AM
I have not, either, as typically the indoor track home meets are when the basketball team is on the road. This year, though, was my best opportunity. Two weeks ago, we were there for a meet, but had to leave on Saturday to get back to Madison as I had to host some clients at the damn badger/MSU game :mad:. That Saturday, they were honoring the Cross Country team, who made it to Nationals for the first time since 1994 and my daughter was on the court to through t-shirts to the crowd (yes, she definitely throws like a girl!). This was my next best opportunity.

As my daughter said, "you have to make it to the Phog before I graduate".

But does she run like John Cahill?

79warrior
01-31-2016, 10:30 AM
Really? Why, did they think the Big East is slumming? You'd think they want to get some additional exposure on the east coast. Geez.

I heard one of the objections was the distance. They did not feel it was worth it to go coast to coast to play some BE teams.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-31-2016, 10:55 AM
I heard one of the objections was the distance. They did not feel it was worth it to go coast to coast to play some BE teams.

Yeah...I'm sure Arizona and UCLA are hurting for cash.

Just bizarre to me. Perfect opportunity for them to get marquee matchups in a made-for-TV type event. Numbers match up almost perfectly. Yeah, there's the distance, but if it's over a Friday/Saturday/Sunday weekend schedule, kids won't miss classes. Flying east once every two years just doesn't seem like that big of a deal. That said, I know the Pac-12 already has some odd scheduling quirks, so maybe that would play into it, especially if they wanted to do a January/February event.

CaribouJim
01-31-2016, 10:59 AM

Bummer. Not very visionary on their part IMO. I think it would be a mutually beneficial arrangement. The Big 12/SEC Challenge certainly grabbed some attention this weekend - maybe they will reconsider. The PAC 12 is only a couple seasons removed from only a couple NCAA invites right?

Speaking of the PAC 12, would like a home and home w/ one of the SoCal teams. MU alums out there deserve a game - would be a nice road trip too.

IrwinFletcher
01-31-2016, 11:46 AM
Great event by the two conferences as they scheduled in the middle of the conference season and they did all the games in a single day. Got a lot of coverage and had some great match ups.

Goose85
01-31-2016, 11:48 AM
Bummer. Not very visionary on their part IMO. I think it would be a mutually beneficial arrangement. The Big 12/SEC Challenge certainly grabbed some attention this weekend - maybe they will reconsider. The PAC 12 is only a couple seasons removed from only a couple NCAA invites right?

Speaking of the PAC 12, would like a home and home w/ one of the SoCal teams. MU alums out there deserve a game - would be a nice road trip too.

I would love a UCLA or USC game.

Challenges are great at the top level, but after that bottom feeders flying cross country may not be good.
To make it more interesting, maybe just take the top 6 in each conference and play two games a piece at 3 sites. Staples Center, MSG, Phoenix, various NBA sites that may be of interest. That may alieviate some of the concerns the big boys like UCLA and Arizona may have, as they can already get big made for TV games.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-31-2016, 12:42 PM
Problem is the bottom teams wouldn't sign off on an event that excluded them.

IWB
02-01-2016, 11:12 AM
So then don't exclude them. Make it a big weekend, 4 sites, 2 games per site, afternoon and evening sessions on a Saturday, afternoon & evening sessions on a Monday. Teams rotate every year, so after 3 years every Pac 12 team plays twice, every Big East team plays twice plus 4 play 3 times.

LA, Phoenix, New York & Chicago.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-01-2016, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't mind some MU games here in Texas! A home and home with UT would be perfect :)

With that said I like IWB's idea, conferences need to get creative, if you do it right you can be good all around.

CaribouJim
02-02-2016, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't mind some MU games here in Texas! A home and home with UT would be perfect :)

With that said I like IWB's idea, conferences need to get creative, if you do it right you can be good all around.

I'd be all over that - great road trip - you can get in a lot of trouble in Austin and I mean that in a good way.

IWB
02-02-2016, 10:51 AM
But nobody from the PAC 12 or Big East are in Texas, that is why I suggested the NY, LA, Chicago, Phoenix deal.

MUFAN2010
02-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Our favorite Badger hater Tony Bennett may have let slip some info about maybe, possibly a Big East/ACC challenge during the middle of conference play. Know anything about this?

http://www.streakingthelawn.com/virginia-cavaliers-basketball/2016/2/2/10894214/tony-bennett-on-espnu-college-basketball-podcast-villanova-acc-schedule

Goose85
02-02-2016, 12:09 PM
I think it is just more of a home and home, but scheduled during the conference season. He alludes to a return game with Villanova.

The high end games worked with the Big 12 and SEC.

Might be possible that normal fans are willing to watch a really good non conference matchup with teams from other conferences, as opposed to watching normal conference games for other conferences.

Personally the Oklahoma v. LSU and Kentucky v. Kansas had more interest to me than any other conference game (excluding Big East).

Would you rather see Iowa State v. Texas A&M for the second time, or North Carolina v. Duke for the millionth time, or a late season non conference game with Virginia and Villanova?

Most non conference games are played early on when teams are figuring things out. I like the idea, even if the focus should be on your conference games.

CaribouJim
02-02-2016, 02:22 PM
But nobody from the PAC 12 or Big East are in Texas, that is why I suggested the NY, LA, Chicago, Phoenix deal.

I know - I believe he was talking about a standard home & home in a region that we don't typically play in. I think you proposal is great - MU is certainly lacking in imagination when it comes to scheduling IMO.

79warrior
02-02-2016, 03:58 PM
I know - I believe he was talking about a standard home & home in a region that we don't typically play in. I think you proposal is great - MU is certainly lacking in imagination when it comes to scheduling IMO.

No sure this is all on MU. Need to get the other side to want to play.

Goose85
02-02-2016, 04:41 PM
No sure this is all on MU. Need to get the other side to want to play.

Great point. But it is on MU to improve to the point that a made for TV home and home is beneficial to a school we would want to play.

If I were a top team from another conference, I'd want to play Nova, X, Georgetown, and even St. John's in a home and home before MU.