PDA

View Full Version : OT - Is this the most loathed college ref?

CaribouJim
01-28-2016, 04:34 PM
http://www.campusrush.com/ncaa-basketball-most-recognized-referee-john-higgins-1576144454.html

...and if not him, who would be?

Phantom Warrior
01-28-2016, 05:09 PM
Let's see: 90 games at $3,000.00 per game....is a cool $270,000. Even if his average is less than that, say $2,000.00 per game, that's $180,000.

As far as "most loathed," hell, that list is far too long to zero in on one or two refs.

Gato78
01-28-2016, 05:25 PM
Loathed? He is one of the best. There are so many bad refs that Higgins cannot help but be one of the better ones. Pat Driscoll is good. Paul Szelc is good. Tom O'Neil is excellent. There are others who I see on game day and think "OK". Bad? I can list many and I like to start with Ed Corbett, James Breeding, Wally Rutecki, Mike Eades, Bryan Kersey (AlphaBangura's favorite), Karl Hess, Jamie Luckie, and Les Jones. Refs who I think are good who most think suck: Mike Stephens (though he is a show boater but seems to have mellowed), Joe Lindsay (he blows some but I generally think he is good) and John Gaffney (I used to think he sucked but I think he has improved). Of course, Tim Higgins was awful. I liked Jim Burr, though did not like his penchant for calling things out of his area. Overall, officiating has been awful this year, moreso than in the past.

CaribouJim
01-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Lavin dodged the question about the quality of refs this year after they showed the video of Big John Thompson speaking up during JT lll's presser about the refs. I like Lavin overall but wished he didn't dance so much whether he thought they were good or bad.

IWB
01-28-2016, 10:51 PM
I always say that if you know who the ref is - there is a reason why, either he is really bad or really good.

The young Higgins is good, there are so many bad it's not even funny.

MUfan12
01-28-2016, 10:54 PM
Jeff Anderson is way worse than Higgins.

MayorBeluga
01-29-2016, 07:35 AM
Higgins is good. O'Connell can be good but needs to be consistent. Driscoll has become very good (double Ts notwithstanding). Disagree with Gato on Mike Stephens. Stephens is a showboat who is way too Teddy Valentine-like. I was watching the end of the Iowa State game this week, and Stephens got in a player's face, yelled at him and followed the player into the huddle. Frankly, he needs to be disciplined for this. A ref never, never, never should scream at a player or follow a player into the huddle to keep screaming. Simple unacceptable.

Rutecki, Breeding and Corbett doing a game together is my version of hell.

MUAlphaBangura
01-29-2016, 07:37 AM
John Higgins, or "surferboy" as he was known in his younger years for his highlighted hair and perpetual tan is one of the best out there. I'd take him any day of the week compared to many already mentioned here.

CaribouJim
01-29-2016, 09:30 AM
John Higgins, or "surferboy" as he was known in his younger years for his highlighted hair and perpetual tan is one of the best out there. I'd take him any day of the week compared to many already mentioned here.

As the late, great Warren Zevon sang - "...his hair was perfect...". I did notice that he has backed off a tad on the highlights, but his hair still remains "perfect" nonetheless.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=warren+zevon+his+hair+was+perfect