PDA

View Full Version : I am now a fan of UW's women's coach...

IWB
01-28-2016, 03:09 PM
http://www.1011now.com/sports/headlines/Wisconsin-Womens-Basketball-Coach-Goes-on-Rant-366795511.html?device=phone&c=y

On shooting..
"If people think they gonna get it on the pillow case it ain't gonna happen. You can't nap your way to being a great shooter."

CaribouJim
01-28-2016, 04:02 PM
Awesome.

Not to change the subject, but had a 3:00 AM wake up call last week in my hotel so while I was getting ready I turned on FS1 and watched a replay of some of the MU v. Providence women's game at the AL. Wasn't able to watch the whole game, but what I watched was very entertaining - with a team loaded with underclassmen or rather underclasswomen they have a nice future. Forget which player but she had a couple of those slither Haanif moves to the basket and closed the deal.

With the mass exodus of the team after last season, I was kind of worried, but things look OK, at least from the small sample size I saw.

TheSultan
01-28-2016, 04:27 PM
http://www.1011now.com/sports/headlines/Wisconsin-Womens-Basketball-Coach-Goes-on-Rant-366795511.html?device=phone&c=y

On shooting..
"If people think they gonna get it on the pillow case it ain't gonna happen. You can't nap your way to being a great shooter."

She's a pretty terrible coach. Anybody who goes on that kind of a rant probably has trouble connecting with their players.

IrwinFletcher
01-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Never mind....

IWB
01-28-2016, 10:53 PM
She's a pretty terrible coach. Anybody who goes on that kind of a rant probably has trouble connecting with their players.

I don't care if she can coach or not, she's basically saying what is true of the majority of the entitled generation.

TheSultan
01-29-2016, 08:29 AM
I don't care if she can coach or not, she's basically saying what is true of the majority of the entitled generation.

Wow. An older guy calling the next generation "entitled." Just like the previous generation, and the one before that, and the one before that... I've been working with college age kids for 25 years. Is this generation different? Yep. In both good and bad ways. But they are fundamentally no more entitled than you or I were at that age.

But if you are a college basketball coach, and you can't get through to your players, that's on you. There are MANY examples of coaches that seem to have figured it out.

Goose85
01-29-2016, 08:42 AM
Well there is something to it or there wouldn't be younger people making bank working with professionals, executives, and companies on how to deal with this new generation of workers.
SNL has had some funny skits on it as well.

When it comes to athletics, it not just kids that feel they are entitled, it is often the parents because they are now paying big money for 'select' teams.

IWB
01-29-2016, 08:45 AM
Yes, I am an older guy calling the next generation entitled.

While you may be working with college students, I am working with grade school athletes and their parents. The crap you see these days especially with club sports/select teams is absolutely crazy, and definitely building an entitled generation.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/millennials/2916016

Halo
01-29-2016, 09:13 AM

While you may be working with college students, I am working with grade school athletes and their parents. The crap you see these days especially with club sports/select teams is absolutely crazy, and definitely building an entitled generation.

Exactly Jim. I coach multiple teams in youth sports and Kelsey's rant was spot on, despite if she is not a successful coach. Sultan-talk to other coaches and you will hear the same thing. These kids are so distracted now that they are spending less and less time on the fundamentals, which is what you are seeing a lack of more and more. We are still seeing athleticism, size and strength of course.

Mucrisco
01-29-2016, 09:16 AM

Agreed. And I am saying this as a director of an AAU program.

MU/Panther
01-29-2016, 09:19 AM
That's right, the kids want to dunk and shoot three's. Get off twitter, get facebook, learn some history!

TheSultan
01-29-2016, 09:24 AM
<sigh>

This confirms more my thoughts on BCB than it does an entire generation of youth.

Mucrisco
01-29-2016, 09:26 AM
That's right, the kids want to dunk and shoot three's. Get off twitter, get facebook, learn some history!

I agree with the entitlement sentiment, but I also feel like I should defend my kids too. During the summertime, my kids wake up at 6 am and go lift weights with the football team. Then, they go to open gyms of their other sports such as soccer or volleyball. Then, they attend their HS open gym for basketball. Then, they drive an hour and come to my two hour workout. They do this, five days a week, then they play tournaments on the weekend. I will say that most kids don't work as hard as my players, but mine do work their tails off.

Halo
01-29-2016, 09:28 AM
<sigh>

This confirms more my thoughts on BCB than it does an entire generation of youth.

And what is that? Keep digging.

MUFAN2010
01-29-2016, 09:49 AM
http://i.imgur.com/91sn32Q.jpg?fb

IWB
01-29-2016, 10:00 AM
One more thing about the UW coach - She might be a bad coach, I don't know. She might not be connecting with her team, and that could be her fault, I don't know. But she didn't single out her team. She talked about women's basketball all across the country. She said it was a problem, and it is, but not just with women's hoops.

MayorBeluga
01-29-2016, 10:17 AM
<sigh>

Get off my lawn!!!

Nukem2
01-29-2016, 10:19 AM
<sigh>

This confirms more my thoughts on BCB than it does an entire generation of youth.Confirms my thoughts about a guy who admitted over at MU Scoop that MU is not a philanthropic priority for him than another generation of posters..

pbiflyer
01-29-2016, 10:33 AM

Actually, at our age, it would really be call the generation after the next generation. :p

Seriously, there are two sides though. High level players spend far more time training, competing than we did. I am stunned at the amount of hours, travel, competitions that they endure today. On the other hand, they do seem to have far more parental involvement and indulgences than we ever did.

Goose85
01-29-2016, 10:47 AM
Actually, at our age, it would really be call the generation after the next generation. :p

Seriously, there are two sides though. High level players spend far more time training, competing than we did. I am stunned at the amount of hours, travel, competitions that they endure today. On the other hand, they do seem to have far more parental involvement and indulgences than we ever did.

It does sound like your kids do work hard Crisco, and that is a testament to their work ethic. But I do wonder if any of them have time for jobs?

My kids work hard / worked hard at their sports, so I do understand how kids today work at their sports. Kids that are very good at their sport have always worked hard to develop. I think a difference now is that there seems to be an expectation on kids parts that parents will make sure they play in select or travel sport and pay for teams / travel / rent gyms / hotels, etc. While kids expect that, I guess it is as much on parents too as pbiflyer indicated.

Back in my day (yeah, I'm old) we had to work really hard to play the sports we did as well. One of the differences was we had to coordinate a lot of that on our own. After working all day in the summer, head down to school to work out in the weight room and throw the football. Play hoops every night in a league down at Hart Park, or get in extra shots at the local playground. Parents were rarely around, nor were they really expected to get us to our extra events.

To me the UW coaches comments were that to be really good you have to do some work on your own, when nobody is around or when nobody scheduled it for you. Playing AAU is great as Crisco can attest, but to be a better shooter than the next guy, you may have to take extra shots, and sometimes that may be when nobody else is around to watch.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-29-2016, 04:11 PM
Wow. An older guy calling the next generation "entitled." Just like the previous generation, and the one before that, and the one before that... I've been working with college age kids for 25 years. Is this generation different? Yep. In both good and bad ways. But they are fundamentally no more entitled than you or I were at that age.

I often wonder about this. We have some millenial friends through both mine and my wife's work. Some are hard-working, some are entitled. Not sure it's that much different than any other generation. Quite a few seem to think they'll grow up to be rich and everything will fall into their laps, but I'm not sure it's that different from what my generation thought growing up before reality smacked us in the face.

I will say this...I feel that the parents are more the problem than anything else. Between absentee fathers and the "every kid gets a trophy" tendency, I'm not sure this generation is as prepared to deal with hardship as generations of the past.

MUwarrior1090
01-29-2016, 04:43 PM
I often wonder about this. We have some millenial friends through both mine and my wife's work. Some are hard-working, some are entitled. Not sure it's that much different than any other generation. Quite a few seem to think they'll grow up to be rich and everything will fall into their laps, but I'm not sure it's that different from what my generation thought growing up before reality smacked us in the face.

I will say this...I feel that the parents are more the problem than anything else. Between absentee fathers and the "every kid gets a trophy" tendency, I'm not sure this generation is as prepared to deal with hardship as generations of the past.

I agree with this. I don't think my generation is more entitled than any other, but it took me until my junior year of college to actually grow up. I think the maturation process is beginning at a later stage.

Markedman
01-29-2016, 06:20 PM
As someone who has worked in the recruiting industry for over 30 years I can tell you without question that the young graduates we deal with today are as a whole more entitled then the graduates of 20-30 years ago.

Certainly it is not everyone but the trend is definitely there......at least that has been my experience.