PDA

View Full Version : Luke

Phantom Warrior
01-28-2016, 10:31 AM
In both the Seton Hall and the GTown games Luke grabbed 9 rebounds.

In the seven games since GTown, he has averaged 3.7 rpg, and not once has he pulled down more than 5 rebounds. He had 2 rebounds in 30 minutes against Nova and 2 rebounds in 26 minutes in the first game against SJU. In two games he fouled out, and in two others he ended up with four fouls. Still, he is averaging 25.6 mpg in those seven games. In other words, he is averaging 1 rebound per 6.9 minutes.

In all honesty, I don't get it. He had 8 boards against LSU, against ASU, and against UW, in addition to the 9 against GTown and SHU.

In the game last night, he had 4 rebounds in 23 minutes, while some guy named Brian Pegg, a 6'7" forward with average athleticism at best, grabbed 12 rebounds in 26 minutes.

Yes, Henry is grabbing an average of 10 rpg, but you'd think a 6'11" Top 100 recruit would be a major factor on the glass.

There are quite a few things I've found disappointing about this year's team and a whole bunch of things I've found puzzling, but how a guy with Luke's size can grab only 1 rebound per 7 minutes over a seven-game stretch is at or near the top of my lists.

Markedman
01-28-2016, 10:42 AM
I saw a box score that said Luke didn't have 1 defensive rebound. Hard to fathom how that is possible.

Gato78
01-28-2016, 10:43 AM
I noticed last night that he was not moving very well. Had a knee brace on one leg. I don't recall seeing that before though it may have been there. He has never been a very good "out of area" rebounder but he seemed limited last night in moving around. Just my suspicion that he is a little banged up.

TheSultan
01-28-2016, 11:57 AM
He's not a terribly athletic dude to begin with, so any injury just limits him further. I haven't been extremely impressed with him since he came to MU anyway. To me he's a somewhat better Chris Otule. Shoots a little better from about the same range. Rebounds a little better. Maybe a season of weight work and he will have a monster senior year, but I'm not counting on it.

Marquette
01-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Another reason why Henry gets so many rebounds. Luke battles everyone for the rebounds, Henry cleans up.

mufan2003
01-28-2016, 12:56 PM
I wish Luke would develop a short baseline jump shot, free throw area jump shot (for when they run a high/low with Luke and Henry). His offense is back to the basket, turning left or right with a one-handed push shot. With the amount of time this team reportedly spends in the gym, I am surprised. If anyone watched the MU/Seton Hall broadcast, Kevin Willard is Mic'd up asking his team "why are you guarding Fischer at the free throw line? What is he going to do, have a picnic?"

Goose85
01-28-2016, 12:57 PM
At times the guy that boxes out doesn't get the rebound, but instead clears the area for a teammate to grab a board.
I do think at times Luke finds himself too low. Can't grab the ball from under the hoop unless the basket is made.

One other play that doesn't show up in the stat sheet is sealing off defenders when a teammate is driving the hoop. I've seen this from Luke in many games.

Nukem2
01-28-2016, 12:59 PM
At times the guy that boxes out doesn't get the rebound, but instead clears the area for a teammate to grab a board.
I do think at times Luke finds himself too low. Can't grab the ball from under the hoop unless the basket is made.

One other play that doesn't show up in the stat sheet is sealing off defenders when a teammate is driving the hoop. I've seen this from Luke in many games.
Yes, he had a couple last night.

bleedbluegold03
01-28-2016, 02:55 PM
O'Tule was the best at this, it's the big man's assist

Mucrisco
01-28-2016, 04:45 PM

I had the same thought. Many times, Luke is the guy boxing out and that's why Ellenson gets the board. Ellenson is not good at boxing out. I also think this is a reason why our guards do not get boards. Brad Stevens used to preach that the big men have to seal off the other team's posts and the guards have to clean up and get the boards.

IrwinFletcher
01-28-2016, 06:03 PM
I wonder if the fear of getting fouls hinders Luke's aggressiveness on the glass sometimes. Is he worried about picking up some cheap fouls and therefore begs off of a rebound he might have a chance at? Not saying this is it, but either consciously or sub-consciously, it may have an affect.