PDA

View Full Version : New Arena and hockey

MUWhistler
01-26-2016, 12:18 PM
I know there is a thread here about the new arena, so I apologize in advance for being too lazy to look it up. But this is a specific topic related to that and didn't want to scroll through 20 some pages to find out.

Are the Admirals for sure not going to be part of the new arena? I ask because last night I went to the Barclay's center for a hockey game. It had a very interesting configuration in that at one end of the ice, there basically weren't any lower bowl seats behind the goal. The upper deck started pretty much above the glass and went up from there. My seats were just inside the blue line on that end of the ice and I noticed that the seats the next section over were already at an angle back towards center ice, where in a normal hockey arena, they would still be looking straight on at the ice. It was clear that the seats are angled for basketball sight lines and that they figured out a way to accommodate a hockey rink in it. When it is the smaller basketball floor, they have moveable seats that fill in that end of the arena.

I am not saying it is the most efficient use of the space, but if it keeps a tenant in the new arena, thus making that more successful, can't all be a bad thing. If they tear down the BC, no real other great options for the Admirals, so have to think they would be happy with a space like that. It was a new design that I hadn't seen before, so thought about what they might be planning to do in Milwaukee.

Nukem2
01-26-2016, 12:19 PM
Think they are going to be in the Arena

IWB
01-26-2016, 12:30 PM
The Admirals will be playing at the Arena.

MU88
01-26-2016, 01:03 PM
They should remodel the BC like they did with Maple Leaf Garden in Toronto. Move the ice upstairs, and fill in the lower level with development. The Admirals, Panthers, Wave and Ice could play there. It could be really neat and would allow the Wisconsin Center to tear down the Arena to expand the convention center.

http://www.mattamyathleticcentre.ca/arena-info/arena-highlights-history/arena-renovation

Litehouse
01-26-2016, 01:34 PM
Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis uses that same configuration for hockey with no lower level behind one end.

MU/Panther
01-26-2016, 01:42 PM
The Barclay Center has been a nightmare for hockey. Seats in the upper deck are blocked.

MU/Panther
01-26-2016, 01:47 PM
Admirals are moving in UWM Panther Arena in 2016 or 2017. Not sure on that yet.
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2015/11/16/admirals-lease-at-panther-arena-on-agenda-for.html?ana=twt

Goose85
01-26-2016, 01:48 PM
The Bradley Center is slated for demolition, and the site is earmarked for further development by a group led by the Bucks owners.

MU/Panther
01-26-2016, 01:51 PM
The Bradley Center is slated for demolition, and the site is earmarked for further development by a group led by the Bucks owners. Thank god!
Many don't understand, that the Arena is in much better shape as a building in so many ways than the Bradley Center. There has been nothing done to the Bradley Center since it opened in 1988.

MU88
01-26-2016, 01:57 PM
The Bradley Center is slated for demolition, and the site is earmarked for further development by a group led by the Bucks owners.

True, but the arena is also slated for demo, just a few years later. I think you could creatively remodel the BC. The arena is a lost cause.

MU/Panther
01-26-2016, 02:06 PM
True, but the arena is also slated for demo, just a few years later. I think you could creatively remodel the BC. The arena is a lost cause. UWM Panther Arena is not going anywhere. If you think the arena is a lost cause compared to the Bradley Center, would love to your reason on that!!

MU88
01-26-2016, 02:25 PM
Well, the powers that be are telling businesses around the arena that the plan is to tear it down. The arena land is part of the convention center expansion plan. While it hasn't been publicly announced, the bars and restaurants in the area are planning on it. Will it happen? Who knows? But, right now, the plan is to tear it down and they are not shy about telling people that.

The BC has much better bones than the arena. It could be converted into another use, with a little clever planning. Will it? Doubtful. But, again, saving it makes more sense than pouring cash into the arena.

MU/Panther
01-26-2016, 02:30 PM
Ya, I think you might have said that in the past. It's not true and it's not happening. But who knows, what 10 years plus can bring.

Rust is working its way through metal exit doors, some of the key mechanical systems are as old as the building itself, the seats are wearing out and parts of the glassy atrium roof leak. Boiling room is falling apart for starters at the Bradley Center. The arena doesn't have any of these problem. I invite you to check out the upgrade in that building!

IWB
01-26-2016, 02:39 PM
I agree with Panther that the WCD has done a very good job of upgrading the Arena, much better that it had been (seats etc). The problem with the Bradley Center is that it is in need of millions in repairs.

Here is the big difference that I see in favor of the Arena. The arena is a 12,000 seat facility. The Bradley Center is 19,000. The new facility will be about 18-19,000. Is there a need for two facilities right next door to each other that have the same seating capacity? No, but there may be a need for a facility that is 7,000 seats smaller.

When the circus, or Disney come to town and want to negotiate, you put them in the best facility to fit their size of crowd. Then you can still book the other facility. There is no reason to have two facilities next door to each other that are the same size.

MU/Panther
01-26-2016, 02:55 PM
There are guys I have ran into at events downtown that work for the company designing the new arena. Most have said the new arena will be between 17,000 to 17,500.

MU88
01-26-2016, 03:05 PM
I agree with Panther that the WCD has done a very good job of upgrading the Arena, much better that it had been (seats etc). The problem with the Bradley Center is that it is in need of millions in repairs.

Here is the big difference that I see in favor of the Arena. The arena is a 12,000 seat facility. The Bradley Center is 19,000. The new facility will be about 18-19,000. Is there a need for two facilities right next door to each other that have the same seating capacity? No, but there may be a need for a facility that is 7,000 seats smaller.

When the circus, or Disney come to town and want to negotiate, you put them in the best facility to fit their size of crowd. Then you can still book the other facility. There is no reason to have two facilities next door to each other that are the same size.

Right, but what if you build a floor between the first and second levels of the BC (like they did in Toronto). Now your seating is around 9000, maybe less if you add boxes around the top. Plus, you have a much, much nicer space. Add new locker rooms on the second floor, along with new (and efficient) ice making equipment for the hockey arena and you have the makings of a first class arena for the city's second tier sports teams. The first floor can then be converted into nightclubs, shops, etc. The atriums would be awesome locations for pregame restaurants, etc. You also build the practice facility within the BC, like they did in Toronto. That building has so much potential.

As for the arena, all I can tell you is what the powers of be told local businesses at the last planning meeting for the arena, which was well after the new site was picked. Putting your head in the sand saying that isn't the plan, doesn't make it so. The best hope for the arena is the fact that selling an expanded convention center to the taxpayers is going to be one difficult task. Putting lipstick on the pig that is the arena isn't going to make that building efficient. I get that the WCB spent a small fortune on superficial items such as seats, etc. and shoring up the foundation because of the deep tunnel fiasco. But, the guts of the place are still mess. Go in the bowels and look at the plumbing. The pipes look ready to burst.

When all is said and done, maybe the Bucks will add seats to their practice facility for UWM. I believe one of the NBA teams is doing that for a WBNA team or a D-league team. But, that leaves the Admirals high and dry, unless they move back to Wilson Park or add another couple thousand seats to the Kern Center. Truth be told, nobody really knows what will happen. A lot depends on how aggressive the potential developers are and how willing the taxpayers are to invest in downtown. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if both the BC and the arena were still standing in 10 years.

Goose85
01-26-2016, 03:07 PM
I think the number of seats is no longer a big deal, it is more the number of expensive seats that is the focus.
More lower bowl, better suites, etc.

Once the new facility is built, unless a game is played at Miller Park, single game attendance records will not be changed.

IWB
01-26-2016, 03:13 PM
88 - I wasn't disagreeing with anything, and think it would be great of they converted the BC to a 9,000 seat facility as you describe.

TheSultan
01-26-2016, 04:12 PM
While the Admirals will be playing at the Arena, I am assuming that the new building will have the capability of putting in an ice sheet right?

IWB
01-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Yes, ice sheet for things like Disney, but it sounds like the seating structure will not allow for a full size hockey rink.

MU/Panther
01-26-2016, 05:12 PM
While the Admirals will be playing at the Arena, I am assuming that the new building will have the capability of putting in an ice sheet right?Disney On Ice brings it own ice. Most years it has been at UWM Panther Arena.

MU/Panther
01-26-2016, 05:14 PM
88 - I wasn't disagreeing with anything, and think it would be great of they converted the BC to a 9,000 seat facility as you describe.Problem is, where in the world would the money come from to do that. We can't even get hot water in the bathroom with the Bucks as the tenant.

TheSultan
01-26-2016, 05:26 PM
Disney On Ice brings it own ice. Most years it has been at UWM Panther Arena.

How does it "bring its own ice?"

MU/Panther
01-26-2016, 06:28 PM
How does it "bring its own ice?" I've always been told that by people who run the arena's. The behind the scenes tour of the Bradley Center and Panther Arena I've been to.

MU/Panther
01-26-2016, 07:58 PM
http://m.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/2016/01/bucks-exec-alex-lasry-calls-for-demolishing.html

Nukem2
01-26-2016, 08:35 PM
I've always been told that by people who run the arena's. The behind the scenes tour of the Bradley Center and Panther Arena I've been to.

Think you are missing what Sultan said. Yes, they can bring their ice makers, but bring their own ice? That's kinda hard.

MU/Panther
01-26-2016, 08:49 PM
Well, like I said, that was the language in how it was said to me.

Nukem2
01-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Well, like I said, that was the language in how it was said to me.
Umm, you need to pay attention young fella.

MU/Panther
01-26-2016, 09:18 PM
Or maybe ask questions.

Litehouse
01-27-2016, 08:27 AM
The renovation the Auditorium/Theater has to be one of the worst uses of public money in Milwaukee's history.

MayorBeluga
01-27-2016, 09:40 AM
The renovation the Auditorium/Theater has to be one of the worst uses of public money in Milwaukee's history.

Agreed, and there's lots of competition for that title.

MU/Panther
01-27-2016, 10:48 AM
The renovation the Auditorium/Theater has to be one of the worst uses of public money in Milwaukee's history. Don't understand why that money didn't go to the Bradley Center. Still, today I hear Belling beating that drum.

IWB
01-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Because the WCD and the Bradley Center were in competition with each other, and it was the WCD that was making the move.

Also, at the time that they did that renovation, there was another reason.... I don't remember exactly who, it was either the people who own the Riverside, Pabst, PAC or Bradley Center that was putting together plans to develop a 4,000 seat venue, which would have been in direct competition with the Auditorium - so they beat them to the punch.

It all seems like a bad move now, but when it was done, they did what they felt they had to do to keep up the business.

Back in those days, Milwaukee county owned the PAC, the Pabst was owned by the Pabst Foundation, the Riverside was Privately held, the Arena, Auditorium and Convention Center were owned by the state and run by the WCD and the Bradley Center was owned by the State and run by the BC Board.

They all competed against each other. Acts would come to down, bid them against each other and Milwaukee would lose - every time.

Now the Pabst & Riverside are owned by the Pabst Foundation.

The PAC, Theater, Arena and soon to be new stadium will be run by the WCD which will absorb the BC board.

Things are a lot different than they were 15 years ago. Had there not been five entities working against each other back then, things may look a lot differently than they do now.