PDA

View Full Version : Just saw the reply of Garrett's "game winner"

Gato78
01-20-2016, 10:31 PM
Wojo alluded to it in the post game and Duane WIlson's dad was pissed about it post game--there was no foul whatsoever. Luke never touched him. Figures that officials call a phantom foul at a crucial time as the officiating this year has been pathetic.

kneelb4zerg
01-20-2016, 10:34 PM
I want to be upset but I can't be upset. Having it come down to the last possession against DePaul is the problem.

MUwarrior1090
01-20-2016, 10:36 PM
It was an awful call but we shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. So be it.

Gato78
01-20-2016, 10:42 PM
"So be it"? Is that our standard for officials? Perhaps that should apply to physicians or lawyers or bankers? You screw up and "so be it"? I think they should be held accountable.

MUfan12
01-20-2016, 10:44 PM
I'd have to see another angle, but based on the clip on twitter it looked like Luke's arm came down and got Garrett on the noggin.

Gato78
01-20-2016, 10:57 PM
The angle I saw on TV, Luke just let him go.

MUfan12
01-20-2016, 11:01 PM
Looked at it again... not a lot in it, but I can see why they made the call.

It shouldn't have come to that, though.

bleedbluegold03
01-20-2016, 11:03 PM
It's DePaul. They didn't have a win in conference. It's at home. They hadn't beaten us since 2000 here.

The game shouldn't have come down to the final play. Period.

mufan2003
01-20-2016, 11:17 PM
Wojo alluded to it in the post game and Duane WIlson's dad was pissed about it post game--there was no foul whatsoever. Luke never touched him. Figures that officials call a phantom foul at a crucial time as the officiating this year has been pathetic.

I could not make the game. I wanted to post my anger regarding the "And 1." Thought it would come across as sour grapes. I will bow my head in defeat when it is deserved, that free throw was not deserved. Watch the tape. This week scares me more than last week. DePaul and St. John's are chores (this year). Villanova and Xavier were opportunities.

MUwarrior1090
01-20-2016, 11:22 PM
"So be it"? Is that our standard for officials? Perhaps that should apply to physicians or lawyers or bankers? You screw up and "so be it"? I think they should be held accountable.

I'm with you, but the refs in our league are consistently awful. I don't expect them to get anything right. They were terrible all night.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-20-2016, 11:48 PM
I don't think we should be in a position where DePaul can beat us on home court because of one bad call. It was what it was, but we played 39+ minutes of crappy basketball, I just can't get worked up about that call any more than the abysmal play that made it possible.

warriorfan4life
01-21-2016, 12:02 AM
I don't think we should be in a position where DePaul can beat us on home court because of one bad call. It was what it was, but we played 39+ minutes of crappy basketball, I just can't get worked up about that call any more than the abysmal play that made it possible.

And despite mostly awful play, being in great position to win the game with five minutes to play.

BLT
01-21-2016, 12:29 AM
Jump ball towards end and DePaul player is laying on floor in the tie up with both legs out of bounds. Arrow to the Blue Demons.

Nukem2
01-21-2016, 04:51 AM
Jump ball towards end and DePaul player is laying on floor in the tie up with both legs out of bounds. Arrow to the Blue Demons.
Even the usher standing next to us pointed that out. And as Gato says.... in the end it was missed FTs and untimely TOs (as Wojo pointed out).

MUAlphaBangura
01-21-2016, 07:30 AM
John Cahill (who runs like a girl even in retirement) needs to sit down Joe (I want to be the show) Lindsay and show him the tape, then make him justify why he made that call. Can't imagine that would end well. Between Lindsay, Corbett and Anderson (the worst offenders imo), watching these games is not even fun anymore. Between our inconsistent, stupid play and incredibly poor officiating, it might be the most challenging season I've ever seen. On top of that, I don't see that it will improve any time soon.

unclejohn
01-21-2016, 09:42 AM
Add me to "so be it." Officials make calls. Officials miss calls. My nephew who was watching the game said it was definitely a foul. So it appears to be a call upon which people can disagree. But that is not the point. The officials did not cost us the game. That play did not cost us the game. The whole game cost us the game. When we were up five, Luke went to the line and bricked two free-throws. Hit those and it s a seven point lead, or at least three possessions. Wojo pointed out in his postgame remarks that we got killed on the boards. That will do it. DePaul is not a terrible team. Garrett is a really good player, and there are some other ones there. I did not expect a walk-over, and I do not expect any in this conference. Similarly, I do not think anyone expects them from us, either.

79warrior
01-21-2016, 10:05 AM

I get it but we pissed the game away in the last 2 minutes. Turnovers, missed free throws etc.

TheSultan
01-21-2016, 10:10 AM
Blaming the refs for last night is ridiculous. It should have never got to that. The refs are part of the human element that has to be dealt with.

MUAlphaBangura
01-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Blaming the refs for last night is ridiculous. It should have never got to that. The refs are part of the human element that has to be dealt with.

I, personally was not blaming the refs, just pointing out the level of reffing is at an all time low and certain refs are beyond poor. Yes, we did enough stupid things as I pointed out, that contributed mightily to our loss. But it is not ridiculous to blame several poor calls as a contributing factor in the game. If we are going to blame poor rebounding, poor shooting, poor defense and stupid turnovers for contributing to the loss, poor calls are also a contributing factor. It basically amounts to a turnover that we didn't commit, and we have very little wiggle room in that category as we are masters of the turnover in crunch time.

TheSultan
01-21-2016, 10:21 AM
I, personally was not blaming the refs, just pointing out the level of reffing is at an all time low and certain refs are beyond poor. Yes, we did enough stupid things as I pointed out, that contributed mightily to our loss. But it is not ridiculous to blame several poor calls as a contributing factor in the game. If we are going to blame poor rebounding, poor shooting, poor defense and stupid turnovers for contributing to the loss, poor calls are also a contributing factor. It basically amounts to a turnover that we didn't commit, and we have very little wiggle room in that category as we are masters of the turnover in crunch time.

Bad calls usually goes both ways. Bad play goes one way.

I am certainly not disputing that refereeing in college basketball is bad. I am disputing that Marquette gets the shaft from those bad calls versus any other team.

IWB
01-21-2016, 10:31 AM
Where the media seats are now I had no view on the last call. I did talk to some people who sit at scorers table post game and they felt it was not a foul, but like many said above, should never have been in that position.

I did not see that play clearly, however, I did text someone a few minutes into the first half about Joe Lindsay, and as Bangura mentioned above, it was about him wanting to be "the show". The first three times he blew his whistle during the game were, I believe, all simple out of bounds plays. But for all three he did his "Tweet tweet....tweet tweet....tweet tweet" Like it was the place was absolute hysteria and no one could hear him. On two of the three occasions he went running in the other direction and with a huge swipe of the arm - pointed in the other direction. I can see a ref doing that in a huge battle in a hostile arena with a couple of minutes to go, but to basically start the game?

A friend was at the game with his son and his son is a young ref. I texted him saying, "Tell your kid if he ever blows his whistle like Joe Lindsay in a game I'm coaching, I will get tossed."

Goose85
01-21-2016, 10:57 AM
Interesting you bring that up. I made mention early in the first half of a call that was a normal blocking call where he went to an open spot and made 4 dramatic shows that there was no made basket. Everyone in the place knew that, but he had to make sure everyone saw his call - 4 times.

MUAlphaBangura
01-21-2016, 12:32 PM
Those are Joe Lindsay specials. Dude has a serious case of "little man" syndrome. Now he is a big dog with a whistle.

unclejohn
01-21-2016, 06:03 PM

Yes, but you can do something about poor rebounding and stupid turnovers. That is worth concentrating on. Bad refs, like goofy plays, shots that bounce twice on the rim and fail to go in, dribbles that hit a wet spot on the floor and go out of bounds or something are things you cannot control. I do not believe the reffing last night was one-sided, and even if it was generally poor, the last call was at least debatable. We have all seen some egregious calls in games that were flat-out wrong and pretty obvious. This was not one of them. This was a judgment call. Maybe he got the judgment wrong. That will happen in every game.