PDA

View Full Version : MU Partnering with Aurora

Goose85
01-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Looks like Aurora will get things going with a $40 mil contribution toward the new Athletic Research Center.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/marquette-aurora-to-partner-on-120-million-athletic-research-center-b99655636z1-365962851.html

TheSultan
01-20-2016, 04:10 PM
That is really cool. Great facility!

Goose85
01-21-2016, 12:24 PM
We all know that MU is to be partnering, in some capacity, with the Milwaukee Bucks on this Athletic Research Center. Looks like Lovell is open to getting the Milwaukee Brewers involved as well. I look forward to seeing how this will evolve. This has the potential to be really good for both MU and Milwaukee.

From the Business Journal article.
Lovell said he hopes to have other private donors step forward and have funds ready by this summer to follow with a 2017 groundbreaking.
He also said that the university would be open to sharing the 250,000- to 300,000-square-foot center, and did not shy away from a question asking if interested, the Brewers or other sports teams gain from the facility.
"We don't want to exclude anyone in this," Lovell said. "We hope for this to become a center for high-performance athletes to come to on a national scale."

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2016/01/21/maquettes-lovell-uses-presidential-address-to-tout.html

IrwinFletcher
01-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Was there an announcement that Father Wild was named Chancellor? I thought I saw it somewhere but haven't seen a follow up. Would think that would be huge news if in fact true.

Wild was there at the Lovell announcement of Aurora donation, so he is still involved.

CaribouJim
01-21-2016, 04:37 PM
How does this effect MU's Physical Therapy school? Will they be included or is Aurora personnel the sole driver on this one?

shaquilvaine
01-25-2016, 07:23 AM
MU's PT school will absolutely be included as will its athletic training school and exercise physiology. in fact, this will likely increase grants/funding for research for these schools and further improve already great programs.

IWB
01-25-2016, 08:40 AM
Wild is working in the Advancement offices, I do not believe he is making a run at Chancellor.

MUfan12
01-25-2016, 08:55 AM
Wild is working in the Advancement offices, I do not believe he is making a run at Chancellor.

Lovell announced it during his speech.

http://today.marquette.edu/2016/01/president-lovell-outlines-key-initiatives-in-second-annual-address/

CaribouJim
01-25-2016, 09:16 AM
MU's PT school will absolutely be included as will its athletic training school and exercise physiology. in fact, this will likely increase grants/funding for research for these schools and further improve already great programs.

Great to hear. I heard some rumblings that Aurora might start to throw their weight around at the expense of the MU PT school. Glad to hear that that is not the case.

IWB
01-25-2016, 09:47 AM
Lovell announced it during his speech.

http://today.marquette.edu/2016/01/president-lovell-outlines-key-initiatives-in-second-annual-address/

Wow - had no idea, last I heard he was working in advancement office and some of those that he oversaw while president were anxious to show him "how to make coffee".

The Reptile
01-25-2016, 11:48 AM
The other stuff in the announcement sounds like a step in the right direction. I love the partnership with Harley to do a Shark Tank and the increases status in doctoral programs should elevate our rankings are with the likes of US News, etc. if my son, who was recently accepted and offered a scholarship, attends there will be a lot for him to take advantage of.

MU/Panther
01-28-2016, 07:40 PM
http://m.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/2016/01/marquette-sports-research-center-bucks-made-news.html

dw3dw3dw3
03-14-2016, 04:16 PM
https://twitter.com/MKEBizJournal/status/709482069655564288

Goose85
03-14-2016, 04:27 PM
Looks like the needed re-zoning passed. Not sure if it's common knowledge, but I did hear from someone close to the situation this weekend that Men's Bball will be moving there and no longer use the AL as their primary facility.

https://twitter.com/MKEBizJournal/status/709482069655564288

I wonder if that means they are looking to add men's volleyball, as then you would have the Al being home to three teams. Men's volleyball is spring with women's in the fall I think.

Otherwise, a darn nice facility for women's basketball and volleyball.

MU/Panther
03-14-2016, 08:05 PM
There is not too many D1 NCAA men's volleyball teams.

unclejohn
03-14-2016, 08:54 PM
There is not too many D1 NCAA men's volleyball teams.

About four conferences of them. The tournament basically amounts to the four conference champions. It has spread. No longer is the championship always between two teams from California. Loyola won it a couple times in recent years. But a lot of the schools playing it are D-2 in other sports. Kind of like hockey.

Goose85
03-15-2016, 08:17 AM
The positive for men's volleyball, the Milwaukee area produces a lot of volleyball talent which has helped Loyola win the title a couple times.
Another positive, for men there are only 4.5 scholarships and our men's scholarship total looks to be far behind women.

TrevorCandelino
03-15-2016, 08:50 AM
I wonder if that means they are looking to add men's volleyball, as then you would have the Al being home to three teams. Men's volleyball is spring with women's in the fall I think.

Otherwise, a darn nice facility for women's basketball and volleyball.

I heard Lovell has been telling groups that men's bball would be moving - to the surprise of many at MU and in the donor (i.e. gave $ to the Al) community.

MUfan12
03-15-2016, 09:02 AM
I heard Lovell has been telling groups that men's bball would be moving - to the surprise of many at MU and in the donor (i.e. gave $ to the Al) community.

Interesting. Was under the impression they would do their strength training at the new place, but still practice at the Al. The weight room would then be converted for another use.

MUAlphaBangura
03-15-2016, 09:06 AM
Interesting. Was under the impression they would do their strength training at the new place, but still practice at the Al. The weight room would then be converted for another use.

Are you saying ALL student athletes would train at the new facility thus eliminating the need for the training room at the AL?

Litehouse
03-15-2016, 09:09 AM
It seems odd they would move the team since the AL was built for them. What are the main reasons? just to be closer to the sports medicine group? Could they connect the new building to Straz and have the players live there?

TrevorCandelino
03-15-2016, 09:44 AM
It seems odd they would move the team since the AL was built for them. What are the main reasons? just to be closer to the sports medicine group? Could they connect the new building to Straz and have the players live there?

Yes it is odd. Not sure if Lovell was/is just shooting from the hip and the message/intent is getting confused.

dw3dw3dw3
03-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Heard it was because Wojo wants it... and easier to sell to big buck donors.

Goose85
03-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Heard it was because Wojo wants it... and easier to sell to big buck donors.

I would think these are the same big buck donors that paid for the Al.

TheSultan
03-15-2016, 01:51 PM
I would think these are the same big buck donors that paid for the Al.

Many of them yes. But that was 13 years ago.

dw3dw3dw3
03-15-2016, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I don't believe the AL is much of a recruiting advantage as it used to be. The top programs all seem to have built bigger/better things in the past 13 years.

IWB
03-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Not a fan of this.
AL McGuire is what Marquette basketball is all about. 13 years old and it no longer serves a purpose? It is still a recruiting advantage, not all schools have that. what other schools are building is athlete's housing facilities/dorms. MU took a step back in that regard when they split the younger players apart.

MUfan12
03-15-2016, 03:14 PM
Not a fan of this.
AL McGuire is what Marquette basketball is all about. 13 years old and it no longer serves a purpose? It is still a recruiting advantage, not all schools have that. what other schools are building is athlete's housing facilities/dorms. MU took a step back in that regard when they split the younger players apart.

Me neither. I can see centralizing the S&C and Sports Medicine for the teams into one building, but I don't see much benefit in men's hoops having their locker rooms/offices/practice gym to the new place.

MUMac
03-15-2016, 03:17 PM
Not a fan of this.

Don't know that I agree. Schools keep on upgrading their "student athlete" facilities. I agree about the dorm issue and hope that is on the agenda. I am guessing Wojo wants to move it to the new facility to show the partnership with the Bucks and also upgrade some of the bells and whistles that other athletic programs have - or beyond.

Unfortunately, in today's sports world, 13 years is antiquated.

Goose85
03-15-2016, 03:33 PM
I think the new facility is to have indoor competition fields for soccer and lacrosse as well as an indoor track.
Along with that, the sports medicine facility and more. Add to that a training and practice facility for MU hoops possibly.

That will be one huge facility. If men's hoops moves their, I'd bet the Al would be one of the best women's hoops / volleyball facilities in the country.

IWB
03-15-2016, 03:49 PM
I think the new facility is to have indoor competition fields for soccer and lacrosse as well as an indoor track.
Along with that, the sports medicine facility and more.

I would think if men's hoops does move there, the addition of full locker rooms, offices and practice court would likely eliminate something discussed above or previously. From what the original plan was, is there enough room to add everything needed for basketball additionally? If not, something has to go.

CaribouJim
03-15-2016, 04:12 PM
How much did MU spend in freshening up the Al per Wojo's request - fancy locker room/lockers etc.?

TheSultan
03-15-2016, 07:25 PM
Not to mention by the time this is built we are talking another three or four years?

MUfan12
08-26-2016, 10:03 AM
The Bucks are partnering with Froedert on a sports science facility- http://www.nba.com/bucks/release/bucks-froedert-medical-college-wisconsin-partner-sports-science-center-and-community-health

Wonder what made the sports science partnership with MU fall through.

TheSultan
08-26-2016, 11:11 AM
I don't think it is the same thing.

The Froedert deal looks like they are basically sponsoring the Bucks new practice facility. The Marquette deal looks like it is more research based.

MUfan12
08-26-2016, 11:16 AM
I don't think it is the same thing.

The Froedert deal looks like they are basically sponsoring the Bucks new practice facility. The Marquette deal looks like it is more research based.

And putting a clinic in.

My guess is the Bucks already had a partnership with Froedert/MCW, and when MU got $40 million from Aurora, that was that.

Goose85
08-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Article in the biz journal. Expands a bit on the partnership. I wonder what impact this will have on MU's proposed athletic performance research center.

From the Bizjournal;
"At the Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin Sports Science Center, Medical College of Wisconsin physicians will work closely with Bucks director of performance Troy Flanagan and his team to devise training and rehabilitation programs for Bucks players.

The facility also will serve as the hub for new athletic performance research endeavors conducted jointly by the Bucks and Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin. They will include sports medicine and injury prevention research."

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2016/08/26/milwaukee-bucks-training-center-to-carry-froedtert.html

Markedman
08-30-2016, 11:47 AM
http://marquettewire.org/3952256/sports/mu-still-hopes-for-2017-opening-for-athletic-performance-research-center/

Marquette
08-31-2016, 10:08 AM
The big issue that MU did not see when they partnered with Aurora is the blow back from Medical College of Wisconsin and Froedert. They have had a longstanding relationship with the Bucks and MU's deal with Aurora caused some issues.

I have also heard that no only has the fundraising gone nowhere, the ground where MU planned on building this facility is tainted and needs some massive cleanup in order for anyone to build there.

MUfan12
08-31-2016, 11:18 AM
I have also heard that no only has the fundraising gone nowhere, the ground where MU planned on building this facility is tainted and needs some massive cleanup in order for anyone to build there.

Had not heard the second part, but yes, they're struggling mightily with fundraising.

Cooby Snacks
08-31-2016, 05:11 PM
Had not heard the second part, but yes, they're struggling mightily with fundraising.

$120 million is a hefty price tag for MU, even considering that a third of that is covered by Aurora. If I could bet against this getting built as originally designed, I would.