PDA

View Full Version : Clemson BOT Meeeting

Goose85
05-24-2012, 09:46 AM
For those interested, it appears the Clemson Board of Trustees met to make sure everyone is on the same page with respect to conference realignment.

Looks like IWB was again in the know a while back when he said he heard Fla State and Clemson would be possible Big 12 members in the future.

If Fla State and Clemson do leave, why is it assumed the Big East would get poached? Why not the Big East poaching the ACC? Syracuse backs out and stays and BC comes back.

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=10623

CaribouJim
05-24-2012, 11:56 AM
That would be a great outcome - I'd take BC over Pitt any day. Both their B-ball and football cred has steadily declined since joining the ACC. Until a few years ago you could make the argument that BC's football program was one of the if not the most underrated college football program in the country - in a quality bowl almost every year with a stellar bowl record and kicked ND's butt year after year.

Most likely won't happen, but why not give it a try??

TheSultan
05-24-2012, 12:15 PM
For those interested, it appears the Clemson Board of Trustees met to make sure everyone is on the same page with respect to conference realignment.

Looks like IWB was again in the know a while back when he said he heard Fla State and Clemson would be possible Big 12 members in the future.

If Fla State and Clemson do leave, why is it assumed the Big East would get poached? Why not the Big East poaching the ACC? Syracuse backs out and stays and BC comes back.

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=10623

The BE won't be doing the poaching because the ACC's television contracts would still likely be more valuable.

Goose85
05-24-2012, 12:36 PM
The BE won't be doing the poaching because the ACC's television contracts would still likely be more valuable.

Not sure how valuable they will be if they lose Florida State and Clemson, as 80% of the contract relates to football.

Florida State and Clemson, along with Va Tech and sometimes Miami, are really the only top teams in ACC football.

ACC's contract is back loaded so they are not getting the big money early (I think year 9). There is also a five year look-in window at which point the contract can be redone.

I know I'm biased and want the Big East to stay together and succeed, but even looking past my own bias, I just don't get how the ACC is a better conference and more valuable that the Big East if Florida State and Clemson leave.

CaribouJim
05-24-2012, 12:43 PM
08:21 AM ET 05.24 | Clemson Board of Trustees president David Wilkins confirmed Wednesday that the board will meet Thursday to discuss conference expansion and realignment. Various Internet blogs and Web sites have mentioned Clemson as a possible target in Big 12 expansion, although the league has not announced any plans to do so. OrangeBloods.com, a Rivals.com site covering Texas, said Tuesday that there was a "55 to 60 percent chance" that the league would expand from its current 10-team configuration and that Notre Dame, Florida State, Clemson and Miami would be possible candidates, in that order. Wilkins said the meeting is designed to clear up rumors and speculation surrounding Clemson's future in the ACC. "We're getting the board together to share information," he said.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/329729-clemson-a-big-12-target-too?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf2_a6

Goose85
05-24-2012, 12:50 PM
So if Florida State, Clemson and Miami all leave the ACC - what's left for football other than Va Tech?

If that would happen, would the Big East try to get BC and Va Tech back? Does Syracuse still leave?

TheSultan
05-24-2012, 01:05 PM
So if Florida State, Clemson and Miami all leave the ACC - what's left for football other than Va Tech?

If that would happen, would the Big East try to get BC and Va Tech back? Does Syracuse still leave?

Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Maryland, NC State and North Carolina are all better "properties" than anything that the Big East can put on the football field....as in they will draw more eyeballs to the television sets. Furthermore, the bottom of the Big East is a problem...UCF, SMU and Memphis are not very good football programs. If Clemson and FSU leave, I have no doubt that the ACC will either simply stay at 12 schools, or will possibly add a couple BE schools - Rutgers and UConn for instance - to make up for their loss.

The only wildcard is if the B10 or someone else tries to take away an ACC school which could lead to the whole thing breaking apart.

The Reptile
05-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Does anyone else think that a BOT meeting to deny a conference is out of the ordinary? To deny, all it takes is a spokesperson. To make a change you need the approval of the board.