PDA

View Full Version : Olympian?

IWB
01-18-2016, 12:26 PM
Ok, it has been a crazy week for Jimmy Butler. Appears at MU practice to talk to the team, then plays the Bucks wearing MU shoes, then sits courtside for MU-Villanova game in Philly, then puts up 53 for the Bulls, then watches from the field as the Broncos beat the Steelers...and now Jimmy Butler is one of the 30 finalists for the US Olympic Team?

My first thought would be that its cool to be a finalist, but a longshot to make it, then I see that his former Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau is one of the assistants. Maybe Jimmy has a shot to make the squad?

Nukem2
01-18-2016, 12:29 PM
That would be nice. :D

warriorfan4life
01-18-2016, 12:32 PM
Ok, it has been a crazy week for Jimmy Butler. Appears at MU practice to talk to the team, then plays the Bucks wearing MU shoes, then sits courtside for MU-Villanova game in Philly, then puts up 53 for the Bulls, then watches from the field as the Broncos beat the Steelers...and now Jimmy Butler is one of the 30 finalists for the US Olympic Team?

My first thought would be that its cool to be a finalist, but a longshot to make it, then I see that his former Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau is one of the assistants. Maybe Jimmy has a shot to make the squad?

As long as Jimmy can accept being just a three/D guy, he should make the team without a problem. Can play 2 or even 3 spots, and in the past bought into whatever role asked of him.

MUAlphaBangura
01-18-2016, 12:43 PM
Think Jimmy would be a great candidate for the Olympic squad. He embodies what that team needs to win a gold medal.

unclejohn
01-18-2016, 12:44 PM

Not sure why he would be a longshot. I am not sure how many players are on the Olympic team, but I have to figure that if he has made it to the final 30, he has a reasonable chance. Some of those thirty are not going to play because of injury, fatigue, or some other reason, so assuming he stays healthy, he would be in the running. Then it depends on what the coaches want and how he does working out with the team.

IWB
01-18-2016, 12:50 PM
Its a longshot just because anytime I want something like this to happen its a longshot.

LaMarcus Aldridge (San Antonio Spurs)
Carmelo Anthony (New York Knicks)
Harrison Barnes (Golden State Warriors)
Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards)
Jimmy Butler (Chicago Bulls)
Mike Conley (Memphis Grizzlies)
DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings)
Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans)
DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors)
Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons)
Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder)
Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets)
Rudy Gay (Sacramento Kings)
Paul George (Indiana Pacers)
Draymond Green (Golden State Warriors)
Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers)
James Harden (Houston Rockets)
Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz)
Dwight Howard (Houston Rockets)
Andre Iguodala (Golden State Warriors)
Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers)
LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers)
DeAndre Jordan (Los Angeles Clippers)
Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs)
Kevin Love (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers)
Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)
John Wall (Washington Wizards)
Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder)

Djgoldnboy
01-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Get Wally in there as well! Well high jump of course.

DCwarrior
01-18-2016, 01:24 PM
You could make an argument that he's the best all-around 2-guard on that list. Harden is better offensively but is a horrible defender. Klay Thompson is one-dimensional on offense and an average defender. No way is Bradley Beal, Harrison Barnes, DeMar DeRozan or Rudy Gay better.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-18-2016, 02:02 PM
His defense alone would make him a good addition.

mufan2003
01-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Its a longshot just because anytime I want something like this to happen its a longshot.

Butler and Leonard are possibly the best 2-way players in the NBA. I think Jimmy has a great shot to make the team.

mufan2003
01-18-2016, 03:17 PM

Not sure if the final roster is 12 or 15, but here are 13 I would take. I would drop Harden if it is 12, he does not play defense. International game, not a lot of back-to-the-basket post play, so traditional centers are not as important.

DCwarrior
01-18-2016, 03:52 PM
[/B]

Not sure if the final roster is 12 or 15, but here are 13 I would take. I would drop Harden if it is 12, he does not play defense. International game, not a lot of back-to-the-basket post play, so traditional centers are not as important.

Kyrie Irving over Chris Paul? That is crazy.

I'd also pick Love over Aldridge (need outside shooters in it'l play to spread the defense out)

mufan2003
01-18-2016, 04:51 PM
Kyrie Irving over Chris Paul? That is crazy.

I'd also pick Love over Aldridge (need outside shooters in it'l play to spread the defense out)

I would have no problem with Paul over Irving. Paul is better setting up others, Irving is a better scorer/shooter. I also figured Coach K would want his former player (Irving) on the team. Disagree on Love over Aldridge, but it is splitting hairs with such a talented list.

CaribouJim
01-18-2016, 05:51 PM
I would have no problem with Paul over Irving. Paul is better setting up others, Irving is a better scorer/shooter. I also figured Coach K would want his former player (Irving) on the team. Disagree on Love over Aldridge, but it is splitting hairs with such a talented list.

I would take a healthy Irving over Paul and I would most definitely take Aldridge over Love. Love's stock is falling.

DCwarrior
01-18-2016, 06:41 PM
I would take a healthy Irving over Paul and I would most definitely take Aldridge over Love. Love's stock is falling.

Team needs a token white guy

CaribouJim
01-18-2016, 07:21 PM
Team needs a token white guy

...well if you put it that way!

Fun discussion - we should have a contest as to who gets the most correct.

I wonder if Melo will withdraw - he is getting rickety - I bet he does.

You have to find a place for Draymond Green - he's playing studly this year - always tracked his MSU games his last couple years there with Jae's performance.

Warriors/Cavs on TNT right now.

mufansince72
01-18-2016, 09:34 PM

I don't agree with longshot. Jimmy is one of the 10 best players in the NBA. I actually would rank him about 7th.

Curry
Draymond
Westbrook
Durant
Lebron
Anthony Davis
Jimmy
Demarcus

MUFAN2010
01-19-2016, 08:49 AM
I don't agree with longshot. Jimmy is one of the 10 best players in the NBA. I actually would rank him about 7th.

Curry
Draymond
Westbrook
Durant
Lebron
Anthony Davis
Jimmy
Demarcus

This list is garbage for having Lebron James as the 5th best player. Try again.

mufan2003
01-19-2016, 02:00 PM

Curry
Draymond
Westbrook
Durant
Lebron
Anthony Davis
Jimmy
Demarcus

With the list of 30 being All-NBA caliber players, I think there are four players that are the elite of the elite:

LeBron
Curry
Durant
Davis

Filling out the final 8 roster spots is where it gets interesting.

TheSultan
01-19-2016, 03:36 PM
With the list of 30 being All-NBA caliber players, I think there are four players that are the elite of the elite:

LeBron
Curry
Durant
Davis

Filling out the final 8 roster spots is where it gets interesting.

I would say that you are also going to have Paul, Westbrook as PGs, and then likely Love and Harden. All four were on the 2012 team and are very likely to be retained.

Then it comes down to roles. There has to be another center there - I would guess Aldridge. I would think Butler would be in that mix for the final three positions then. Defenders...shooters...that is what they are going to want there.

mufan2003
01-20-2016, 09:53 PM
I would say that you are also going to have Paul, Westbrook as PGs, and then likely Love and Harden. All four were on the 2012 team and are very likely to be retained.

Then it comes down to roles. There has to be another center there - I would guess Aldridge. I would think Butler would be in that mix for the final three positions then. Defenders...shooters...that is what they are going to want there.

Giving it more thought, I think DC Warrior and you are correct in terms of Paul. Is there a better pure PG on the list who will maximize the talents of the other 4 better than Chris Paul? I don't think so. I think Kyrie Irving is more talented overall, but it is about team chemistry and how the 5 pieces fit together. Irving will still be on the roster, he deserves it and is a Dukie (Coach K is not cutting him, barring injury).

mufan2003
01-20-2016, 11:04 PM
I stand my ground on Love. In Minnesota, he was given unlimited touches on a terrible franchise. On the #1 team in the East, with 2 Studs in James and Irving, the kid is struggling.