PDA

View Full Version : Game recap

DCwarrior
01-16-2016, 03:21 PM
They got beat by a better team, but at least they hung tough and made a game of it.

On the positive side -- Walley and JJJ played great. Without those two stepping up it would have been a blowout.

On the negative side -- Duane and Haniif were terrible and Sandy was invisible. We need at least 2 of those 3 to have good games in order to beat really good teams.

kneelb4zerg
01-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Game recap is Duane Wilson 2-15(!!)

kneelb4zerg
01-16-2016, 03:26 PM
X played like garbage. If we could hit the broad side of a barn we win this game.

AbovetheRim
01-16-2016, 03:31 PM
Duane had the single worst shooting game I've seen in person since John Starks, Game 7. Brutal and kept firing away with no consciense.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-16-2016, 03:40 PM
Duane clearly has some issues, that or he has majorly regressed... Really disappointing as I saw him as a real factor this year.

kneelb4zerg
01-16-2016, 03:45 PM
Duane clearly has some issues, that or he has majorly regressed... Really disappointing as I saw him as a real factor this year.
Take the ball to the basket if your shot isn't falling. Ridiculous effort by him. Come on.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-16-2016, 03:51 PM
At what point is it the cosch's responsibility to reign him in during the game by either saying something to him or just benching him?

I realize it's a tough situation as you want your guys to play with confidence but I was waiting for wojo to bench him for Cheatham (realizing he played poorly also).

bleedbluegold03
01-16-2016, 04:01 PM
The lack of development, or rather regression, from Duane is crippling.

kneelb4zerg
01-16-2016, 04:07 PM
The lack of development, or rather regression, from Duane is crippling.

I figured he would be our leading scorer. Instead he's an inefficient volume shooter off the bench.

IrwinFletcher
01-16-2016, 04:08 PM
I had thought that this was going to be Duane's team and even with HE on the roster, he was going to be the man.

Boy was I wrong. Just a terrible game today.

And the reason he played as much today was that Cheatham was bad and Carter was worse. All three perimeter guys were just simply awful.

I will also add, Henry gets his numbers and by the end of the game I wonder how he got those. Just real quiet out there and just doesn't seem to impact the game in direct relation to his numbers. I'm not saying he isn't good. I'm not saying he isn't talented, but just thought he would have the ability to take over a game.

79warrior
01-16-2016, 04:18 PM
I had thought that this was going to be Duane's team and even with HE on the roster, he was going to be the man.

Boy was I wrong. Just a terrible game today.

And the reason he played as much today was that Cheatham was bad and Carter was worse. All three perimeter guys were just simply awful.

I will also add, Henry gets his numbers and by the end of the game I wonder how he got those. Just real quiet out there and just doesn't seem to impact the game in direct relation to his numbers. I'm not saying he isn't good. I'm not saying he isn't talented, but just thought he would have the ability to take over a game.

HE needs some help. DW was terrible and HC and SC just not present. No matter how good HE is, cannot do it alone.

TheSultan
01-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Yeah I am not sure how you expect him to take over a game. He's a 6'11" forward. He had 20 points and shot over 50% today and probably MU's best player. He is the least of Marquette's concerns.

bleedbluegold03
01-16-2016, 04:27 PM
I also was incredibly disappointed with the students showing today, both in number, and in voice.

It's a Saturday afternoon game against a top ten opponent and you can't fully fill the lower bowl? To top it off, the ones that show up are non existent. I'm not sure I could recall a single defensive cheer during Xs run. Brought nothing today.

That being said, 3/4s of those students have only known losing. The Elite 8 year are now seniors. I use to find pride in the turn out and considered us one of the better groups in the nation even 5 years ago. Sadly settling into mediocrity/complacency as a student base

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-16-2016, 04:32 PM
I also was incredibly disappointed with the students showing today, both in number, and in voice.

It's a Saturday afternoon game against a top ten opponent and you can't fully fill the lower bowl? To top it off, the ones that show up are non existent. I'm not sure I could recall a single defensive cheer during Xs run. Brought nothing today.

That being said, 3/4s of those students have only known losing. The Elite 8 year are now seniors. I use to find pride in the turn out and considered us one of the better groups in the nation even 5 years ago. Sadly settling into mediocrity/complacency as a student base

Winning fixes that...the last 3 years have been really tough, and the longer it goes it fades even further away, we live in a what have you done for me lately society, I doubt most people even remember we were in the elite 8 in the last 4 years. I'll say this too, I don't know that next year has a ton of promise either if HE leaves.

Nukem2
01-16-2016, 04:39 PM

That being said, 3/4s of those students have only known losing. The Elite 8 year are now seniors. I use to find pride in the turn out and considered us one of the better groups in the nation even 5 years ago. Sadly settling into mediocrity/complacency as a student baseUh, most students will not be back until tomorrow or Monday as the 2nd semester starts on Tuesday ( Monday is MLK Day). Students were fine.

IrwinFletcher
01-16-2016, 05:08 PM
Wasn't a whole lot to get loud about either. Thought it was noisy early on, but a 21-0 run will take the crowd out of the game.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Better than I expected. Xavier was bad, that's probably the best chance we'll get against them, but we also played bad, so there you go. Xavier and Nova are simply much, much better than we are.

Luke's foul trouble was a killer. It took away our offensive and defensive post presence. Once he went out, the success we had early attacking the paint against the zone went away so we settled for threes. Defensively, Henry simply couldn't handle Farr, who decimated us without Luke's defense.

TheSultan
01-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Let me say that I think it is massively unfair that a defender can't use an arm bar, but an offensive player can just back a guy down in the post. Henry had good position sometimes, but basically had to use his stomach to keep him out of the lane.

mufan2003
01-16-2016, 06:37 PM
Let me say that I think it is massively unfair that a defender can't use an arm bar, but an offensive player can just back a guy down in the post. Henry had good position sometimes, but basically had to use his stomach to keep him out of the lane.

This is a big misunderstanding. Donny Marshall thought the same thing as analyst for the MU/NOVA game the other night. A post defender is allowed to use an arm bar against an offensive player that has his back to the basket. Just can't extend and push the offensive player. On the perimeter, no contact is allowed (hand-checking, body-bump or arm bar). I think the MU coaches want Henry, being 6'11" and having a long wingspan, to keep both hands up and move his feet. I agree with this, don't want to leave it up to the discretion of the referees. It is difficult to shoot over Henry with both arms extended.

http://www.pjstar.com/article/20151111/SPORTS/151119829

CaribouJim
01-16-2016, 07:17 PM
Uh, most students will not be back until tomorrow or Monday as the 2nd semester starts on Tuesday ( Monday is MLK Day). Students were fine.

A faculty member sits next to me and when I expressed my disappointment in the lack of students (although lower level ended up being pretty much full and even some ended upstairs) he said that Wojo sent a letter/email to the students requesting their attendence. I think I heard him right.

When I was at MU ('76 - '80) the first game back was always a rockin' environment. It was also the game when MU would bring out new unis every other year - for me that was in January '77 and January '79. When Butch came out in '77 for warmups in the new unis with the hoodie there was no equal to his coolness factor that year. Speaking of unis, MU really, really, really needs to change their uniforms - it's part of their DNA - what is it 7 or 8 years now? That is not cutting edge. I know, least of their worries right now.

Freshman year Notre Dame, sophomore year UNLV (and Reggie Theus's 'fro) where Ulice Payne garnered the MVP and MU scores 104 in nationally televised game. Junior year ND where MU loses a tight one in a huge snowstorm that limited attendence to about 8,000 - 9,000 but nonetheless one of the loudest and rowdiest crowds I was part of at an MU game. Senior year Florida State.

Nukem2
01-16-2016, 08:08 PM
A faculty member sits next to me and when I expressed my disappointment in the lack of students (although lower level ended up being pretty much full and even some ended upstairs) he said that Wojo sent a letter/email to the students requesting their attendence. I think I heard him right.

When I was at MU ('76 - '80) the first game back was always a rockin' environment. It was also the game when MU would bring out new unis every other year - for me that was in January '77 and January '79. When Butch came out in '77 for warmups in the new unis with the hoodie there was no equal to his coolness factor that year. Speaking of unis, MU really, really, really needs to change their uniforms - it's part of their DNA - what is it 7 or 8 years now? That is not cutting edge. I know, least of their worries right now.

Freshman year Notre Dame, sophomore year UNLV (and Reggie Theus's 'fro) where Ulice Payne garnered the MVP and MU scores 104 in nationally televised game. Junior year ND where MU loses a tight one in a huge snowstorm that limited attendence to about 8,000 - 9,000 but nonetheless one of the loudest and rowdiest crowds I was part of at an MU game. Senior year Florida State.
Yah but, Wojo should have sent that e-mail before the end of the first semester. He sent that a couple days ago. These kids had their travel plans set way before that.

TheSultan
01-16-2016, 08:10 PM
It's different now and I doubt half the students even read the email Wojo sent. Really winning is the only thing that will help.

MUMac
01-16-2016, 08:13 PM
This is a big misunderstanding. Donny Marshall thought the same thing as analyst for the MU/NOVA game the other night. A post defender is allowed to use an arm bar against an offensive player that has his back to the basket. Just can't extend and push the offensive player. On the perimeter, no contact is allowed (hand-checking, body-bump or arm bar). I think the MU coaches want Henry, being 6'11" and having a long wingspan, to keep both hands up and move his feet. I agree with this, don't want to leave it up to the discretion of the referees. It is difficult to shoot over Henry with both arms extended.

http://www.pjstar.com/article/20151111/SPORTS/151119829

To supplement, you can use the arm bar, but cannot put the other hand or arm on the player.

TheSultan
01-16-2016, 08:33 PM
Thank you both. Announcers seem to not understand the rule then.

CaribouJim
01-16-2016, 08:54 PM
Two positives from the game - only 9 turnovers if my math is correct and the national anthem by that little girl - unreal. There was another good rendition of the same from an MU student a few games ago as well.

Nukem2
01-16-2016, 08:59 PM
Two positives from the game - only 9 turnovers if my math is correct and the national anthem by that little girl - unreal. There was another good rendition of the same from an MU student a few games ago as well.

She was good. Gave her a high 5 as her family sat directly behind us. And, she is just a kid. Kept kicking the back of my chair as she was bored. And, the faculty honoree of the day sat next to us. A busy Section 205 today!