PDA

View Full Version : Juan Anderson Undergoes Shoulder Surgery

IWB
05-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Marquette Press Release

Milwaukee – Marquette sophomore forward Juan Anderson underwent successful surgery Wednesday morning and will begin the six-month rehabilitation process immediately.

The Oakland, Calif., native injured the right shoulder during an open gym session following the conclusion of the 2011-12 campaign. He had surgery on the same shoulder in December of 2011 after suffering a shoulder fracture.

“All of us, including Juan, are disappointed that he will not be able to be a part of our team activities on the floor this summer, but for his career this procedure was the right thing to do,” head coach Buzz Williams said. “His rehab time is estimated at six months, but with Juan’s discipline and our support staff’s expertise, we will do all that we can to get him back on the court as soon as possible.”

Anderson appeared in 24 games off the bench for the Golden Eagles in 2011-12, averaging 0.7 points and 0.8 rebounds per game.

Nukem2
05-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Just saw the twitter post...Holy Crap....!

Nukem2
05-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Given this, would it be wise for Juan to redshirt this season. 6 months takes him to mid-November. A lot of missed time in the summer as well as all or most of pre-season activities.

TheSultan
05-24-2012, 09:20 AM
It's a little early to make the redshirt decision, but it would seem to be a definite possibility.

Nukem2
05-24-2012, 10:01 AM
It's a little early to make the redshirt decision, but it would seem to be a definite possibility.Might be early, but a definite possibility? The thing with Juan is he needed to really get some work in with Todd Smith this summer to build up his slim fram. Not going to have that opportunity now.

TheSultan
05-24-2012, 10:03 AM
LOL...I meant to mean "definite possibility to consider" but I didn't finish my thought!

Markedman
05-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Yeah it's hard to imagine him winning a spot in the rotation if he misses 6 months of development and isn't ready to play until November.

What a tough break for the kid.

CaribouJim
05-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Seems like there is no choice but to redshirt him correct as I'm thinking he still has the chance to be something special and I'm assuming Buzz does too? Does that create a scholarship bottleneck down the road a bit?

Markedman
05-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Juan may not want to redshirt. He didn't play hardly at all last year so not being able to play 2 years in a row would be hard to take for most players. Plus he then loses the redshirt year if for whatever reason he decides to transfer for more playing time down the road.

Goose85
05-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Depending on his recovery, I think a redshirt might be the best for Juan.
Gain a year of practice time and experience in Buzz's system and then serve as a backup for only one year to Jamil Wilson. Junior year he and Steve Taylor have the potential to be a really tough 3-4 combo. Add in someone like Finney-Smith or Uthoff - wow!

I really think, like Caribou said, Juan has a chance to be special and given a year to work on his game as opposed to rushing back could work out very well.

TulsaWarrior
05-24-2012, 12:59 PM
This news might make Finney-Smith even more of a priority. In his mind's eye the table might seem clearer. I hope Juan redshirts. I have two reasons. He's an extremely intelligent young man and he can turn this into a fully paid bachelors and masters degree. It would also insure time to recover and develop his body for a pro career. This has the potential to be a win, win for him.

Markedman
05-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Shouldn't impact Finney-Smith since he will have to sit out this year no matter where he goes. Juan playing or not playing in 2012/13 wouldn't affect him at all.

TulsaWarrior
05-24-2012, 03:59 PM
My bad, thought he was eligible immediately. I must have been doing some wishful thinking. ; - )