PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology

Goose85
01-11-2016, 12:05 PM
I am not anticipating we make the big dance, and bracketology really doesn't mean much at this time of the year, but I looked at Lunardi's latest listing anyway.

Lunardi has 4 Big East teams in the big dance, with Seton Hall being among the first four out and MU being among the second group of 4 out.
Nova and X are 2 seeds, with Prov a 3 seed and Butler a 7 seed.

Interesting enough, in the next 4 out section along with MU is Arizona State and LSU, two teams we played earlier.

One thing that a schools like LSU and MU have in common is I think the NCAA would like to see Simmons and Ellenson in the big dance. That might help break a 'tie' if it were to be close between a couple schools.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-11-2016, 01:18 PM
It also helps that we beat them head to head... With that said for MU to make the dance I think they will need an impressive finish to make it a no doubt type deal, if we are a bubble team I think we get left out because of our schedule. The selection committee loves to make a point about non conference schedules

Markedman
01-11-2016, 01:25 PM
I don't think the SC cares nor should they about Ellenson and Simmons.

They have a job.....to fill out the field with the best at large teams.

If LSU or MU have done enough to impress enough of them they will get in.....if not they won't.

As MKE said I think if they are close they will more likely then not be left out because of the non conference schedule.

I for 1 will not be complaining about being left out unless MU removes all doubt.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-11-2016, 02:51 PM
FWIW, Lunardi also said via twitter he doesn't think 10-8 will get it done in the Big East.

CaribouJim
01-11-2016, 03:05 PM
I don't think the SC cares nor should they about Ellenson and Simmons.

They have a job.....to fill out the field with the best at large teams.

If LSU or MU have done enough to impress enough of them they will get in.....if not they won't.

As MKE said I think if they are close they will more likely then not be left out because of the non conference schedule.

I for 1 will not be complaining about being left out unless MU removes all doubt.

100% agree about Ellenson/Simmons and MU overall. MU needs to be 11-7 and at least one BE tourney game to feel comfortable on selection Sunday IMO.

As far as the BE overall, only 4 getting in may be realistic although I think it will be 5 - not enough bottom feeders to fatten up on beyond SJU and DePaul and as far as bottom feeders, in relative terms, they aren't too bad.

Markedman
01-11-2016, 03:17 PM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/01/11/bracket-projection-kansas-holds-on-to-no-1-overall-seed/

MU/Panther
01-11-2016, 03:24 PM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/01/11/bracket-projection-kansas-holds-on-to-no-1-overall-seed/
wow, Seton Hall as a 9 seed

MU/Panther
01-11-2016, 03:26 PM
FWIW, Lunardi also said via twitter he doesn't think 10-8 will get it done in the Big East.
For Marquette or anyone in the Big East?

MU/Panther
01-11-2016, 03:29 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

CBS, Jerry Palm

warriorfan4life
01-11-2016, 03:32 PM
If we are say 10-8, and win another strong road game or two, we will be as unique of a case as there has been in recent memory. We have 4 top 100 wins away from home already, and likely would get a couple more on way to 10-8 in the Big East. However, we would likely have crappy rating numbers across the board and of course that anchor of a non-conference strength of schedule.

Regarding the Big East, any of our top four teams would make it at 9-9. Hall is likely safe at 10-8, and Marquette, Creighton, and even Georgetown gets strong consideration at 10-8.

MU/Panther
01-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Not sure on Georgetown at 10-8 with home loses to Radford, UNCA and Monmouth. Georgetown still has a non-conference game at Connecticut, which will be huge.

Markedman
01-11-2016, 07:15 PM
If we are say 10-8, and win another strong road game or two, we will be as unique of a case as there has been in recent memory. We have 4 top 100 wins away from home already, and likely would get a couple more on way to 10-8 in the Big East. However, we would likely have crappy rating numbers across the board and of course that anchor of a non-conference strength of schedule.

Regarding the Big East, any of our top four teams would make it at 9-9. Hall is likely safe at 10-8, and Marquette, Creighton, and even Georgetown gets strong consideration at 10-8.

Neither LSU or UW are top 100 RPI teams as of now.

warriorfan4life
01-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Neither LSU or UW are top 100 RPI teams as of now.

LSU will end up there, and Bucky probably ends up in the top 100 just because of playing in the B1G.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-12-2016, 06:43 PM
For Marquette or anyone in the Big East?

Gotta be for us. Because Butler or Providence would be stone cold locks at 10-8.

And may have only 4 now, but I think 6-7 is certainly possible this year. But for that to happen, need DePaul and St John's to really suck, and someone else to lose 11-12 games (I nominate Georgetown).

CaribouJim
01-12-2016, 07:17 PM
Not sure if this was already posted as it has been on SI.com since yesterday:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/01/11/hoop-thoughts-nonconference-rpi-2016-ncaa-tournament

Under "Ten who hurt themselves"

Marquette (264). This program is still in rebuilding mode, so it makes sense not to make life too difficult during the first two months. It’s worth noting that Marquette’s “best” loss, to No. 16 Iowa, was mandated by the league because it was part of the Gavitt Games between the Big East and the Big Ten. But the Golden Eagles look like they could wind up squarely on the bubble—they just won at Providence—in which case one or two more challenging games would have helped a great deal.