PDA

View Full Version : OT College Football playoffs

Markedman
01-08-2016, 01:54 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/1/8/10737258/after-bowl-ratings-fell-flat-espn-is-giving-back-20m-to-advertisers

Goose85
01-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Wow - ESPN is looking to give back $20 million because of low ratings for the college football playoffs, and in 4 of the next 6 years the first round is slated to be on New Years Eve.
That is a tough sell to have people stay home and watch football on New Years eve, even for older folks and not just singles.

TheSultan
01-08-2016, 02:19 PM
It started off so well last year with two great games on New Year's Day. This year, not only were they on NYE, but the games were terrible. Really most of the bowls were terrible this year too. Really poor ending to the season.

But the New Years Eve scheduling was dumb from the beginning, and everyone knew it. They should have moved the games to Saturday, January 2 this year.

IWB
01-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Those two games should have been on Saturday. First off, on New Year's Eve many people work a good chunk of the day. After that, they are getting ready to go out to dinner, parties etc. You won't beat New Year's Eve.

Next - no wonder the Bowl games aren't great. They are pre-planned matchups, not matchups for a reason, or specifics that people want to see. Instead we have the 4th place Big 10 team against the 7th place SEC team etc. Too pre-planned, would rather see some made for TV matchups like you do in the non conference.

MayorBeluga
01-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Pity to see ESPN struggle. My heart bleeds (and so does their pocketbook...)

Goose85
01-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Those two games should have been on Saturday. First off, on New Year's Eve many people work a good chunk of the day. After that, they are getting ready to go out to dinner, parties etc. You won't beat New Year's Eve.

Next - no wonder the Bowl games aren't great. They are pre-planned matchups, not matchups for a reason, or specifics that people want to see. Instead we have the 4th place Big 10 team against the 7th place SEC team etc. Too pre-planned, would rather see some made for TV matchups like you do in the non conference.

The other group of 5 teams also said the heck with the big 5 aligning with almost all of the bowls and created their own bowls.
This led to the need to allow teams under .500 into bowl games, and that did get a lot of publicity. Not sure if that affected the ratings or not, but just a negative pre bowl game vibe with under .500 teams and New Year's Eve playoffs.

MU/Panther
01-08-2016, 03:43 PM
I don't feel sorry for ESPN for overpaying again on the rights deal. The Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are locked in with the 80 million deal for each bowl, for the NYD and timeslots at 4pm and 7:30pm before the CFP ever came around. 2 out every 3 year the semi-finals fall on NYE.

Goose85
01-08-2016, 03:48 PM
I don't feel sorry for ESPN for overpaying again on the rights deal. The Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are locked in with the 80 million deal for each bowl, for the NYD and timeslots at 4pm and 7:30pm before the CFP ever came around. 2 out every 3 year the semi-finals fall on NYE.

ESPN can't afford too many hits like this one to the bottom line. Their income has been dropping and I'm sure looking down the road they are nervous with so much money paid for playoff games, and so many of them falling on New Years Eve.

pbiflyer
01-08-2016, 04:20 PM

And 3 or the next 4 years the playoff games are on NYE again. Likely not going to get much of a rating improvement those years, regardless of the teams playing, for reasons IWB state.

MU/Panther
01-09-2016, 08:09 AM
Might help next year as NYE is on a Saturday.

Markedman
01-12-2016, 11:14 AM
The power of network television over cable?
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/686951154475995136

ge1974
01-12-2016, 11:51 AM
I think having two teams from the south play for the championship alienated some viewers who didn't care who won the game. The only reason I wanted 'Bama to win is because I hate the ACC.

TheSultan
01-12-2016, 12:16 PM
The power of network television over cable?
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/686951154475995136

ESPN also split the telecast over five networks.

MU/Panther
01-12-2016, 12:50 PM
John Ourand ‏@Ourand_SBJ · 3h3 hours ago
re CFP TV ratings: The South generally watches every year in huge numbers. Last year's game added the Midwest and West markets.

MU/Panther
01-12-2016, 12:52 PM
ESPN also split the telecast over five networks.
The ESPN broadcast for the title game drew a 15.8 overnight rating. The 16.0 rating combines all the Megacast options.

TheSultan
01-12-2016, 01:12 PM
The ESPN broadcast for the title game drew a 15.8 overnight rating. The 16.0 rating combines all the Megacast options.

OK thanks. And that tweet you posted makes a lot of sense.

MU/Panther
01-12-2016, 03:22 PM
CFB title game viewership (including Megacast):
2014: 34,148,000 (Ohio State-Oregon)
2015: 26,182,000 (Alabama-Clemson

IWB
01-12-2016, 04:01 PM
Part might also be that many people assumed Alabama would win in a blowout.

It was a great game, but I still can't believe how bad Clemson got screwed at the end of the half.

CaribouJim
01-12-2016, 04:08 PM
I was kind of surprised that the announcers said that it looked like there were more Clemson fans in attendance than 'Bama - something like 60-40 from their perspective. Not an exact science I know, but intuitively would have thought 'Bama would have been more represented. Maybe the Clemson fans know that this won't be almost an annual thing like it is with 'Bama.

BTW, Chris Fowler, IMO, is a lousy play-by-play announcer.

Gato78
01-12-2016, 04:28 PM

Says the guy who dumped Erin Andrews because of her "nasal-y" voice.

CaribouJim
01-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Says the guy who dumped Erin Andrews because of her "nasal-y" voice.

Call 'em as I see 'em or in this case hear 'em.

MU/Panther
01-12-2016, 06:02 PM
I was kind of surprised that the announcers said that it looked like there were more Clemson fans in attendance than 'Bama - something like 60-40 from their perspective. Not an exact science I know, but intuitively would have thought 'Bama would have been more represented. Maybe the Clemson fans know that this won't be almost an annual thing like it is with 'Bama.

Many have said it was 2 to1 Clemson vs Alabama fan.

Alabama fans are known for not to travel to well. Plus, it's a been there done that for Roll Tide.

CaribouJim
01-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Many have said it was 2 to1 Clemson vs Alabama fan.

Alabama fans are known for not to travel to well. Plus, it's a been there done that for Roll Tide.

Not the exact situation, but still kind of like Kentucky v MU in '03.