PDA

View Full Version : Last PC possession question

MayorBeluga
01-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Re-watching the final Providence possession, I'm struck by how disorganized they looked. PC called a timeout with plenty of time to set up a play yet they didn't seem to run anything. Then they waited too long to attempt the shot. Normally, it would make sense to shoot with about 4-5 seconds left to give time for an offensive rebound, especially with the way they owned those boards last night.

Question: how much of that was PC's poor play and how much was due to MU's defense? Did the 2-3 zone that final possession throw them off that much?

ge1974
01-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Providence still had one timeout remaining and when it appeared they were disorganized with 8 or 9 seconds left, they should have called it.

MUMac
01-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Re-watching the final Providence possession, I'm struck by how disorganized they looked. PC called a timeout with plenty of time to set up a play yet they didn't seem to run anything. Then they waited too long to attempt the shot. Normally, it would make sense to shoot with about 4-5 seconds left to give time for an offensive rebound, especially with the way they owned those boards last night.

Question: how much of that was PC's poor play and how much was due to MU's defense? Did the 2-3 zone that final possession throw them off that much?

I thought it took PC a bit of time to understand the zone Marquette was in. It was a 2-3, but a more active and different 2-3. Luke had the middle by himself and the guards pushed out top. It almost looked to be a match-up zone at the end. I think Dunn thought he could get to the FT line against Cheatham, who was overplaying his left passing lane. He did not expect to see Henry and Duane collapse immediately. I think the credit goes to the D and to the reaction of Duane and Henry.

MUfan12
01-06-2016, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure that 2-3 was much different from what MU was running the last 6 mins, but I certainly would have used that last timeout after the initial play broke down.

Frankly, I'm shocked they didn't work it in to Bentil. Dunn is a great player, but Bentil had his way all night. Haani did a great job on Dunn at the end,