PDA

View Full Version : Still not sure how we won

MayorBeluga
01-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Let's face it, when Providence took the lead and extended it to 8 points, most of us thought the game was over. Dare I say, nice toughness in coming back. Yeah, PC played poorly but we'll take it.

That said, looking at the box score (http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400840285), how did we win? Outrebounded 34-28. Lost the offensive boards 13-2. PC took 18 more shots than us (61 v. 43). We turned the ball over 19 times, which included a few unforced ones down the stretch. Forcing 16 turnovers and limiting PC's shooting percentage to only 37.8% were the keys.

Wow. We needed that. Now don't let this be an aberration: we need to beat St. John's to build some momentum.

Goose85
01-06-2016, 08:44 AM
We were 2-11 from 3 point range too. We did make more free throws (19) than Providence took (18). Prov shot poorly from 3 point land too which really helped (4-18).

I will take it! Great win and like MayorBeluga said, time to build some momentum.

pbiflyer
01-06-2016, 08:57 AM
We were 2-11 from 3 point range too. We did make more free throws (19) than Providence took (18). Prov shot poorly from 3 point land too which really helped (4-18).

I will take it! Great win and like MayorBeluga said, time to build some momentum.

At one point early on, we were 2-4 from 3 pt range. That means we ended 0-7. Jeez.

AlexJesswein
01-06-2016, 09:55 AM
We were in the bonus with just under 15 min to go in the 2nd half. Despite some missed front-ends of 1-1s, that was the difference.

IWB
01-06-2016, 10:07 AM
Great game, still can't believe MU pulled out of the late 8 point hole.

Bright spots:
1) MU Came back from down 8 late.
2) Sandy Cohen really starting to come around, overall great effort by Sandy last night.
3) Duane Wilson's go ahead basket - how did that get over the rim and how was that not a foul?
4) MU shot over 51% from the field. 3pt shooting was terrible, but to shoot over 51% on the road against a top 10? Great!
5) 12 Steals - That is a great number, especially when you force 7 turnovers on a player like Kris Dunn.
6) Free throws - MU shot 77.8% on the night. Could have been better, but picking up 19 points from the stripe is a good night.
7) Zone D was great, kudos to Wojo for realizing that this team has limitations, especially against athletic teams like Providence.
8) Haanif Cheatham - Led the team with 16 points on 5-7 shooting. Yes, Ellenson is getting well deserved attention, but for a freshman, Cheatham has really stepped up.
9) 5 blocked shots - Henry with 4, Luke with 1. Add that to several altered shots and the size in the middle is really paying off.
10) MU beat a top 10 team on the road. Biggest win in Wojo's coaching career and a huge accomplishment for this team.

Negatives:
1) Bill Raftery is one of the all time greats, but last night his partner Brian Custer really Irritated me. Brian, it is ElleNson. Henry ElleNson. His brother is Wally ElleNson. They are not related to Never Nervous Pervis Elli_son. Good God that drove me nuts.
2) Offensive rebounding - MU finished with 2 offensive rebounds to Providence's 21 defensive rebounds. I know guys are hurrying back for defense, but you miss a lot of shots, need a better rebounding effort on the offensive end.
3) Shot selection - Like any team, MU takes some bad shots. Need better shot selection.
4) 19 turnovers - just can't have that, especially the one to start the 2nd half. Need to be smarter when it comes to protecting the ball. 9 players saw the court for MU last night, not one of the 9 has a zero in the turnover column. That is crazy.
5) 3 pt shooting - 2-11 won't cut it in the Big East. Need to shoot better from beyond the arc.
6) Allowed Providence to get 13 offensive rebounds. Can't let them get that many.

In the end it was a HUGE win for Marquette last night. Need to keep it going!

MUfan12
01-06-2016, 10:34 AM
The amount of offensive rebounds MU gets isn't as much of a concern for me as the amount they give up. Absolutely have to finish possessions. The bigs have struggled to contest shots and stay in rebounding position, so the guards really gotta help crash the boards.

The turnovers will be an issue all season long, I fear. They get these spurts where they play too fast, and force the issue. A symptom of having young guards.

79warrior
01-06-2016, 01:42 PM
At one point early on, we were 2-4 from 3 pt range. That means we ended 0-7. Jeez.

Seemed like HE had most of the misses.

BLT
01-06-2016, 10:23 PM
eFG% and free throws, mix in some defense.

Djgoldnboy
01-07-2016, 04:10 PM
"Negatives:
1) Bill Raftery is one of the all time greats, but last night his partner Brian Custer really Irritated me. Brian, it is ElleNson. Henry ElleNson. His brother is Wally ElleNson. They are not related to Never Nervous Pervis Elli_son. Good God that drove me nuts. "

I've noticed too that both commentators and camera crews have been mixing up Luke and Henry during games, they'll be talking about a play Henry just made, or a foul, then have the camera on Luke, etc....kind of funny they can't keep the two big white kids straight.

MUMac
01-07-2016, 05:48 PM
"Negatives:
1) Bill Raftery is one of the all time greats, but last night his partner Brian Custer really Irritated me. Brian, it is ElleNson. Henry ElleNson. His brother is Wally ElleNson. They are not related to Never Nervous Pervis Elli_son. Good God that drove me nuts. "

I've noticed too that both commentators and camera crews have been mixing up Luke and Henry during games, they'll be talking about a play Henry just made, or a foul, then have the camera on Luke, etc....kind of funny they can't keep the two big white kids straight.

You can add Matt as well. Sure, he does not play a ton of minutes and his number of 12 with Henry's 13 add's to the confusion.

ValiantSailor
01-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Is it woja-HOW-ski or woja-KOW-ski?

VS

Nukem2
01-07-2016, 07:51 PM
Is it woja-HOW-ski or woja-KOW-ski?

VS
How Ski

IWB
01-07-2016, 08:07 PM
Wojo explains it as "Wojo-House-Key".

ValiantSailor
01-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Wojo explains it as "Wojo-House-Key".

Someone should tell that to Fox Sports. This week, I have two different announcers use the wrong pronunciation.

VS