PDA

View Full Version : KU/Sooner Game

CaribouJim
01-04-2016, 11:04 PM
Triple OT win for KU - one of the top ten regular season games I've witnessed in my life.

Kind of reminded me of the UCLA vs. Maryland 40+ years ago - 2 behemoths going at it.

MUfan12
01-04-2016, 11:17 PM
KU fans stuck around and applauded Hield after he did a live hit on Sportscenter. Doubt that happens too often.

Rematch is the afternoon of 2/13. Nice way to start the festivities before the 7PM tip against Creighton.

mcwman
01-05-2016, 05:35 AM
Marquette should loop the way frank mason plays defense and show it over and over and over again to all its guards

MU Viking
01-05-2016, 08:18 AM
I've had the opportunity to watch Buddy Hield a great deal the last couple years. It's funny-- I watched every game D-Wade played at MU, and Buddy is very reminiscent of D-Wade at the same stage. Wade was the superior overall defender (better at steals, blocks, locking guys up), and rebounder, but Buddy is a great defender also. Buddy gets to the rim this year in much the way Wade did; I'd still give Wade the explosive edge. Buddy is the far better shooter at this stage.

Buddy is so likable. From the Bahamas originally, infectious personality. Really one of the game's fun players to follow.

OU is going to be a tough out in the Tournament assuming health. That backcourt of Hield/Woodard/Cousins is tremendous (Cousins struggled yesterday). Spangler is a do-everything big. Lattin is really coming on nicely. In some ways, this team reminds me a lot of the 2003 MU team in balance and strengths.

Goose85
01-05-2016, 08:57 AM
I agree, that was one great college game. Hield was awesome to watch, almost had to laugh when he kept coming up with big hoops.
Interestingly enough, NBAdraft.net has Heild going to the Bucks at pick #8. After last night I'd say yes to Heild.

Is it just me, or has Perry Ellis been at Kansas for a long time.

Five players played 50 minutes or more in the game.

Cheick Diallo only played 5 minutes for Kansas.

MU/Panther
01-05-2016, 10:26 AM
Glad I stayed up to watch the end. It was a game that college basketball needed!

Goose85
01-05-2016, 11:06 AM
Awesome game and I enjoyed Musburger on the call. He and the game neutralized Dick Vitale to an extent.
Vitale made the comment that it was the loudest building he has ever been in for a game.
While he is prone to the outlandish statement, it seemed the place was up for grabs and his statement might be right on. A great college environment for sure.

Funny, at one point Vitale was joking about the game going late which was past the bed time for the two 76 year old announcers. Sure enough, both Vitale and Musburger were born in 1939 and are 76 years old.

MUfan12
01-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Brent was outstanding on the call. Compare him to Dick Stockton, who is three years younger, and it's even more impressive.

ValiantSailor
01-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Can't remember watching a better regular-season game - ever! And I agree with mcwman - the game should be used for training our team's defense.

VS

MU Viking
01-05-2016, 12:19 PM
Want to also mention... if you can find me a nicer, more genuine college basketball coach than Lon Kruger, I'll eat my hat. A wonderful person.

mufan2003
01-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Great game. As mentioned, Buddy Hield was outstanding. I saw Hield against Villanova, Wisconsin, Iowa State. Not only his shooting, but his ability to drive and finish at the rim is impressive. He has become a complete player. If the Bucks end up in the lottery, Hield is right there now on my wish list along with Dunn. Ben Simmons is great, but the Bucks' cornerstones (Giannis and Parker) play essentially the same position as Simmons.

MUMac
01-05-2016, 12:49 PM
My daughter was at that game last night. She told me the atmosphere was the best she has seen at KU. From pregame to final, loud and fun.

TheSultan
01-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Awesome game and I enjoyed Musburger on the call. He and the game neutralized Dick Vitale to an extent.
Vitale made the comment that it was the loudest building he has ever been in for a game.
While he is prone to the outlandish statement, it seemed the place was up for grabs and his statement might be right on. A great college environment for sure.

Funny, at one point Vitale was joking about the game going late which was past the bed time for the two 76 year old announcers. Sure enough, both Vitale and Musburger were born in 1939 and are 76 years old.

I like Musburger, but Vitale needs to go. He never talks about the game, and when he does, is just a bunch of platitudes and cliches. And really, stop yelling. That schtick was unique 25 years ago when it was genuine. Now it's just an act.

TheSultan
01-05-2016, 01:44 PM
Want to also mention... if you can find me a nicer, more genuine college basketball coach than Lon Kruger, I'll eat my hat. A wonderful person.

And a damn good coach too.

CaribouJim
01-05-2016, 01:57 PM

Agreed - doesn't seem to have a massive ego like too many high profile coaches seem to have especially considering his very impressive resume.

Anyone else think his voice has a little Lou Holtz thing going on as well?