PDA

View Full Version : Older MU fans

Gato78
12-13-2015, 09:27 AM
Terry Bledsoe passed away yesterday. Terry was a reporter for the Milwaukee Journal back in the '60's and '70's covering Marquette and the Packers. He covered two of Wisconsin's all time greats in Al McGuire and Vince Lombardi and he was friends with both. He was my Dad's first cousin and our families were close. He had unbelievable stories about Al and Vince and we always tried to get him to write a book. He was the go between with Al and the Bucks when they tried to hire him away from MU. He left the Journal to work for the NFL Management Council. He then worked for the New York Giants as an assistant GM and became close to Wellington Mara who was a mentor and father figure to him. He then became GM of the Buffalo Bills where he drafted Bruce Smith and Andre Reed. He also refused to give in to pressure to trade the rights to Jim Kelly, setting the stage for the Bills' run which was largely credited to then GM, Bill Polian. He then became a senior VP for the Arizona Cardinals. He came back to MU a few years ago and IWB and MIke Broeker gave him a tour of the Al. Terry had some stories that added a bit but likely could not be published! He and his wife, Shirley, moved to Providence when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and where a son of his lived who was a practicing physician and who took great care of he and Shirley. Great guy. RIP.

ge1974
12-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the update Gato. I recall Terry Bledsoe's writings fondly. RIP to Terry and his family.

MayorBeluga
12-13-2015, 09:48 AM
Seriously Gato? You say there are stories and won't share? All the parties have gone to their reward. Let's hear a few!

Regardless, sorry to hear of his passing. Thanks for sharing.

Gato78
12-13-2015, 11:22 AM
In part because of the colorful characters he covered, Terry was the Wisconsin Sportswriter of the Year numerous times. He was also incredibly talented and well read. Always had a unique take. One of his most controversial columns was when he wrote about the propriety of the National Anthem before sporting events. He was advocating that it should not be sung and he caught all sorts of flack for it--but this was in the era when Gary Brell was turning his back on the flag, etc. He wasn't being anti-American, he was actually taking the opposite tack saying it was insufficiently respectful just before a sporting event.

CaribouJim
12-13-2015, 11:36 AM
As a Bills fan since the Jack Kemp era I owe Terry a lot for that heartbreaking, yet entertaining 4 year Superbowl run. The 30 for 30 special on that team premiered last night on ESPN - DVRed it. Waiting for the emotionally (wide) right time to watch it.

RIP Terry!

Nukem2
12-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the update Gato. I recall Terry Bledsoe's writings fondly. RIP to Terry and his family.
Ditto.

AbovetheRim
12-13-2015, 12:09 PM
As a younger fan, my immediate observation is that this is an unbelievable career path/trajectory that doesn't even seem possible in today's world. This man went from beat writer to an NFL GM? Wow.

Gato78
12-13-2015, 12:15 PM
When Terry covered MU the SID was Bob Harlan. Harlan went from MU SID to Packers president presiding over one of the greatest periods in Packers history.

IWB
12-14-2015, 11:40 PM
I contacted the JS today about Terry and they put TR on the story. He did a great job...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/longtime-journal-sportswriter-terry-bledsoe-went-on-to-be-bills-gm-b99634247z1-362129211.html