PDA

View Full Version : For Those In Madison

TedBaxter
05-21-2012, 07:39 PM
On WKOW-TV channel 27 tonight, there is a story of a Madison family that will have 3 D1 college track and field siblings running next year on scholarship at Wisconsin, Kansas and Missouri and another sibling running for D3 power Wisconsin-LaCrosse. They are sons and daughters of a parent(s) that is a Marquette alum(s) and all attend or attended Edgewood High School.

Mark Miller
05-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Wonder who that could be?

An absolute credit to Edgewood and the Madison community.

TedBaxter
05-21-2012, 08:15 PM
The dad won't make it as a movie extra. He kept looking over at the kids being interviewed, ala Pee-Wee Herman in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

IWB
05-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Glad to have him as a poster - congrats!

CaribouJim
05-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Good to know that there is at least one other track and field fan on this board!!!

Kansas? That is some rarefied air as far as track history - Glenn Cunningham, Wes Santee (who came oh so close to being the first to break the 4:00 minute mile and who pretty much sacrificed a chunk of his career in fighting the AAU for more amateur sports rights) and the legendary Jim Ryan - just to mention a few. Oh and their first men's track coach? None other than Dr. James Naismith who if it weren't for him we wouldn't be posting on this b-ball board or any other for that matter.

Lastly, Wilt the Stilt and Gale Sayers were also on their track team.

Can someone fill me in - who is that poster who is a genetic freak - I assume we have more than a few Madison posters here.

WarriorNich
05-22-2012, 10:53 AM
A link to the story:

http://www.wkow.com/story/18578102/edgewoods-mckenna-family-leaving-mark-on-the-track

Click on video icon on the left hand side.

CaribouJim
05-22-2012, 01:31 PM
A link to the story:

http://www.wkow.com/story/18578102/edgewoods-mckenna-family-leaving-mark-on-the-track

Click on video icon on the left hand side.

Yikes - impressive family. They must have sacks of pasta at that house.

It's also nice to read Susie Favor Hamilton's name - saw her run in the Millrose Games in Madison Square Garden a couple times up close and personal - hubba hubba - talented both athletically and aesthetically if you know what I mean. I mean off the charts good looking.

MUMac
05-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It is pretty awesome to see your kids get recognized for their accomplishments in a sport that does not get a ton of attention! Good Regional yesterday as all 3 kids qualified for Sectionals in all of their events. Kelli and Erin in the 4x800 and 4x400, Kelli in the 800, Erin in the 400 and Joe in the 4x800, 1600 and 3200. Sectionals on Thursday.

Mark Miller
05-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Good luck at Sectionals, Mac!!!!

Goose85
05-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Congrats Mac! Awesome story.

With all of those runners you are probably keeping the local running shoe store in business.

Mark Miller
05-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Would that be the Shoe Box?

WIAA might want to look into that. :rolleyes:

MUMac
05-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Would that be the Shoe Box?

WIAA might want to look into that. :rolleyes:

Nope. Only Movin' Shoes for us.

ziggysfryboy
05-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Yikes - impressive family. They must have sacks of pasta at that house.

It's also nice to read Susie Favor Hamilton's name - saw her run in the Millrose Games in Madison Square Garden a couple times up close and personal - hubba hubba - talented both athletically and aesthetically if you know what I mean. I mean off the charts good looking.

She's a realtor in Madison now. Caribou might have to do some house shopping

MUMac
05-22-2012, 04:45 PM

She spoke at the Madison All City Girls Cross Country Awards Banquet two years ago. She gave a great speach. Spoke very openly and honestly about her run in the Olympics where she took a dive. I could not believe how openly she spoke about that. It was quite impressive. She does a fantastic job speaking. I earned even more respect for her after that.

CaribouJim
05-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Hmmm...I do have a nephew that may be going to Madison next year for grad school - he may need my presence for mentoring purposes - may have to look into it some real estate now that I think of it - thanks for the suggestion.

CaribouJim
05-22-2012, 04:53 PM
She spoke at the Madison All City Girls Cross Country Awards Banquet two years ago. She gave a great speach. Spoke very openly and honestly about her run in the Olympics where she took a dive. I could not believe how openly she spoke about that. It was quite impressive. She does a fantastic job speaking. I earned even more respect for her after that.

I saw an interview a year or so back where she spoke about that - I think it was on the Big Televen channel - I remember watching that race "live" - race was about 100 or so meters too long for her that day - bummer. She would have looked good on the medal stand on multiple levels.

Halo
05-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Congrats Mac. What a terrific achievement for your kids and family. Best of luck the rest of the way.

TrevorCandelino
05-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Congrats to your family Mac. That's incredible.

CaribouJim
05-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It is pretty awesome to see your kids get recognized for their accomplishments in a sport that does not get a ton of attention! Good Regional yesterday as all 3 kids qualified for Sectionals in all of their events. Kelli and Erin in the 4x800 and 4x400, Kelli in the 800, Erin in the 400 and Joe in the 4x800, 1600 and 3200. Sectionals on Thursday.

Share results?

MUMac
05-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Share results?

Kelli and Erin are the 2nd seed in the 4x800 at State (finished 4th last year) and Kelli made it in the 800. Erin had a blister after the 4x800 and that hurt her 400 and the 4x400 (which just missed out qualifying). Joe made it in the 4x800, 1600 and 3200. State is Friday and Saturday in La Crosse. Each has a good chance at medaling.

CaribouJim
05-29-2012, 10:24 AM
OK - give us La Crosse updates - no rest for the weary for Joe.